Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New project Gemini Tandem
Bought new in 1991 and its been hanging around for quite a few years.
It is time to give it a hair cut and a face lift.
These bikes are awesome Mtb Tandems and a ton of fun in the woods.
tough and take a beating. I will take you guys on a ride as to how I go about a refurb project like a bike you just found in a barn and maybe even a video or two along the way!
I have to blame Nigel for this one since he broke out his Tandem and now I have to break out mine, so with a little elbow grease lets see how it comes out. Everything on this bike is original and I do not plan to put a ton of cash back in it but we shall see.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
its a nice bIKE i like it THE OLD SHIMANO DEORE DX COMPONENTS post picture when u done and good luck enjoy Pain KILLER.
Its good to hear from an Illinois boy, Thankx. you are only 3hrs. away from peoria. If you want you can stop bye and help anytime you want!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Great looking bike.

Other than cleaning, the only change that I think is absolutely required to it is to install Avid linear pull brakes and Tektro brake levers.
http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Single-Digit-Bicycle-Linear/dp/B000NNQKGC/
http://www.amazon.com/Tektro-Eclipse-Universal-Brake-Silver/dp/B000GDAUH4/
the above are what I installed on our tandem - much much better braking performance than the OEM cantis.

I'd also put fenders on it Smile
Nigel
I agree, a good brake upgrade is in order and thank you for the links. about the fenders,well I do get it muddy once every 15 years or so. I do have a NOS double biopace shimano crank that I thought about doing the 14speed mod with. still up in the air on which way to go.
Ye Nigel is big on brake changes. I never had problems with my brakes. But than Nigel is a big boy, like two of me. :-))

The new disc brakes remind me of the pricey U brake on the the rear wheel lower frame popular in the 80's. No more. IMO discs are too damn complicated and heavy for most use.

Yesterday I rode the California LA beach bike path to Manhattan Beach to watch a volleyball tournament and in the evening to a waterfront marina to see Frankie Avalon. Weather was great.

How are you all doing after Irene??
Never Give Up!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steel-is-real/3428197708/
these are the rear brakes stock for this tandem.they have great stopping performance and can lockup the rear wheel on command at any speed.One can broadslide this bike and you would never know that the stoker was onboard. the only thing i never liked about them they were a pain to setup tight.
why did you have to bring Irene up again? She dumped me years ago
(08-28-2011, 02:49 PM)painkiller Wrote:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/steel-is-real/3428197708/
these are the rear brakes stock for this tandem.they have great stopping performance and can lockup the rear wheel on command at any speed.One can broadslide this bike and you would never know that the stoker was onboard. the only thing i never liked about them they were a pain to setup tight.
Curious; how are they for modulation?

Suntour never offered self energizing ones for the front - lawyer issue is the rumour.

I would leave those on the rear, and put linear pull on the front.

I like to be able to slow down at 1+G Smile
(08-28-2011, 02:26 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Ye Nigel is big on brake changes. I never had problems with my brakes. But than Nigel is a big boy, like two of me. :-))

The new disc brakes remind me of the pricey U brake on the the rear wheel lower frame popular in the 80's. No more. IMO discs are too damn complicated and heavy for most use.
Smile

+1 on discs on road bikes.
Nigel
The modulation was fine and the fronts can still lift the rear wheel of the ground. I have always been a Shimano fan but the brake spec works for this bike good.
I remember back in the 90s someone must have sued because they flipped over the handle bars and got hurt. The front brakes were " To good " and that led to pretty bad brake pad compositions in that era. It seems to have calmed down now for some reason and brakes are hard hitting again.
I even recall some Consumer Reports articles telling the public not to buy certain bikes because the front brakes were to powerful and dangerous, can you believe that they were bad mouthing
brands like Trek for this. They always say if your the first to sue about something is your best payout
Great looking bike. Must be a ton of fun to ride!
so how this project is looking Pain killer
Have not started it yet, work in progress you might say
Nice tandem project. Looks like it has been sitting for quite some time but should clean up well. Definitely show pics of the different stages. I alway like seeing the work of others so that when I start one of these projects, I have something to base my progress against.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
been working a lot of hours but plan on getting it done thru winter. thanks
I can not believe I missed this one!!! Bro so sorry as this caught my eye. An idea to maybe, if possible change the front fork to front suspension fork?!? That is if you have one laying around and it is the same size. Also put some meatier tires on it for traction as those are for road (you already know that). If the ride is still too stiff get the shock absorbing seat posts Wink .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Well Bill I have owned this bike from new. I can tell you that the ride is extremely nice and when having to make a quick maneuver or broad sliding you would never know there was another rider (stoker) on the back, it acts like your on your own bike. the tires were just a cheap tire for the moment. to low pressure, to soft side walled and they suck! I will be going back to knobbies. as for the fork, I will pass on the suspension fork. it has an oversized headset and I would have to totally custom tune one to function properly for the weight and that would require a very expensive fork to start with.

I still have not made any progress on the refurb project. I just came back today from a 450 mile drive to pick up bicycles in another state to refurb and resell so those always come first. two of which are kinda cool.
one mid 90s Rockhopper Comp deore LX equipped and a elevated chainstay Nishiki Alien Mid 90s deore Lx equipped. I will post some pics of those in another post soon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Last Post: barefooter