Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

FS - 1979 Chicago Built Schwinn Lightweight – EXCELLENT All Original Road Bike
I have a 1979 Chicago Built Schwinn Lightweight Road Bike that I am interested in selling. It is EXCELLENT and is an All Original Road Bike great for riding but even better for a collector of vintage Schwinn bicycles.

It is in OUTSTANDING, EXCELLENT condition!!! I would rate it as a 9.5+ on a scale of 10.

I am asking $250 obo (Or Best Offer). Interested? Please call Don at 818-400-2848 or send me an e-mail.

THE DETAILS:
It is completely original, has the original Schwinn embossed saddle (like new), the original tires and the tubes still hold air!!! It was ridden less than twenty miles. It will need two new tires and should have a general inspection and lubrication before it is ridden any distance. It has the original paint and the color is a Light Green and was officially known as "Emerald Green", a high-visibility, light and bright green.

The S/N is HQ 572180 (on the lower left front of the Head Tube if viewed from standing in front of the bike) and it was manufactured in August of 1979.

This bike was purchased new at the Schwinn Dealer, Bert Straub’s Canoga Cycle Center located at 7003 Topanga Canyon Boulevard in Canoga Park, California 91303 and their phone was 818-340-4772 in 1979. The original Schwinn Dealer's decal is still as new and is located on the forward lower section of the Seat Tube.

These bikes were generally referred to as "26 inch" bikes, but specifically the size of this bike is as follows: The Head Tube is 6”. The Down Tube is 23” from the Center of the Head Tube to the Center of the Bottom Bracket. The Top Tube length is 22 1/4” from the Center of the Head Tube to the vertical Center of the Seat Tube. The Seat Tube Height is 21 ½ ” from the Center of the Bottom Bracket to the horizontal Center of the Top Tube. The “stand-over height” is approximately thirty-one and one-half inches. The Tires and Wheels are 27 inches X 1 ¼ inches.

Thank you for reading this post.

Regards,

Don
Don Cordier Aviation
Van Nuys Airport & McClellan-Palomar Airport
Van Nuys & Carlsbad, California USA
TEL: 818-400-2848 or 760-496-0764
e-mail: DonCordier@sbcglobal.net
Hi is the frame ChrMoly?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(05-15-2011, 07:22 PM)Bill Wrote:  Hi is the frame ChrMoly?

Thank you for your question.

There is no indication on the frame that the tubing is ChroMo. I can check the brochure and the Owner's manual and let you know. I do know that Schwinn changed their welding process in the late seventies and "believe" they were using ChroMo on the Paramount models of the late sixties or early seventies.

I will check my records.

Regards,

Don
Don Cordier Aviation
Hi Don;

Which model Schwinn is it?

Given the date; it is not likely to be a fillet brazed model; see:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html
Nigel
A lot of the Varsity models of that era were emerald green, so I am guessing it is a Varsity. You can probably find replacement Schwinn decals on eBay because they were VERY popular. Nice looking Schwinn Don! Smile

Yup, back in those days they called bicycle sizes by the tire/wheel size, ie., 26-inch, 24-inch etc.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Here is a link to the "lightweight" '79 Varsity, at 38 light lbs. :-))

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1971_1980/1979_20.html

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1971_1980/1979_16.html

If you scroll back you will get to the Paramounts which had Reynolds 531 tubes weighing in the low 20's lbs,thats real good for even today. The other Schwinns had heavy 1010 steel pipes .
Never Give Up!!!
Hi Nigel,

My apology for the delay in answering your question.

If I recall the shop advertised this model as the "Collegiate".

Also (in regard to the comment of "brazing"), the brochure stated something like a new welding process known as either electro-beam (very common in aerospace) or electro-forged as the method of joining the frame components.

When I return home, I will attempt to locate the model number of the frame as I hope that I can possibly be more accurate with that information. BTW - Does anyone happen to know the location of the model number on the frame as I do not recall seeing it anywhere near the Serial Number on the Head Tube?

Thank you in advance to all for all of the helpful input!!!

Best wishes,

Don
Don Cordier Aviation
Hi Don;

See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html

It is electro-forged.

The bike in the picture is not a "Collegiate"; unless it has been extensively changed. Collegiates had traditional upright handle bars, and most were 5 speeds. As noted by others; the bike in the picture looks like a Varsity, or maybe a Continental.

This is a similar one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-SCHWINN-VARSITY-10-SPEED-MENS-ROAD-BIKE-BICYCLE-74-/400215894774?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item5d2eb9eaf6
Nigel
Hello Again Nigel,

Thank you for correcting my memory. I did remember that it is NOT a Collegiate but a Caliente. I thought I had recalled Collegiate but remembered after posting that I was mistaken.

According to my brochure, at least three models came in Emerald Green and the Continental was NOT one of them (in 1979). The three that I am aware of are; the Caliente, the Varsity and the varsity "Sport" (I do not know the difference between the last two but the brochure shows these two similar model names).

I am going to attempt to check the frame Model Number when I arrive home but still do not know the location of that information on the frame???

Perhaps you or someone on the list may know?

Also, thanks for the eBay link but according to what I read at the site, this is a 1974 model. BTW - I did not know Emerald Green was available in 1974.

Over the years, I have owned several of the Continental models. The last two were a 1968 Continental in a Metallic Medium Blue (Mist?) and a 1972 Continental in the Bright Yellow (my most favorite). All of my Schwinn bikes were purchased new and the 1979 is the only one that I still own.

Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Don
Don Cordier Aviation

Possibly Related Threads...