Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

1979 Chrome Panasonic DX-2000 Dura Ace Upgrade

Just finished a period correct Dura-Ace EX7200 era upgrade of my 1979 Panasonic DX2000. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Not sure how to get more replies so I will try stirring the pot a bit. I am going to say that this circa 1978-1979 drive train is as beautiful and functional as anything campy was making in that era and blows strong light out of the water. The only thing that comes close or surpasses it are the drillium Sugino Royal cranks or a few of the iterations of the super maxy series. These cranks are similar to the beauty of the arabesque of the same time period and the derailleurs are bulletproof. Little touches like the Shimano "S" logo on the front derailleur are so subtle.
(08-21-2022, 12:19 AM)ApocalypseMeow Wrote:  Not sure how to get more replies so I will try stirring the pot a bit. I am going to say that this circa 1978-1979 drive train is as beautiful and functional as anything campy was making in that era and blows strong light out of the water. The only thing that comes close or surpasses it are the drillium Sugino Royal cranks or a few of the iterations of the super maxy series. These cranks are similar to the beauty of the arabesque of the same time period and the derailleurs are bulletproof. Little touches like the Shimano "S" logo on the front derailleur are so subtle.

@ApocalypseMeow you need to be a little patient with this community; not everyone is a vintage bike enthusiast. I am only seeing your post since I am up at a hospital working.

That is a nice set-up. Huge frame! 65cm? Certainly a good choice for a period upgrade on an Asian frame. The D-A EX RD is a good mech in looks and function for its time with better shifting than Campy's SR, but shy of the performance of Sun Tour's Cyclone circa that era.
Too bad that chainguard isn't chromed; it would have jazzed it up a bit given the chromed frame. It could be replaced or polished, but if it's original I'd keep it.
Are the hubs and brakes original; what are they?
The crankset is essentially a version of Campy's Super Record model which many companies were copying for their top level groups shortly after its advent.
I didn't know Panasonic was using vertical drop-outs on their frames of that period.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Thanks Jesper,
I have seen you all over the site so it means a lot to get a reply from you. As for your questions. Its a 61cm 24inch frame. I think the angle i took the photo at makes it look bigger. I actually agree about the Cyclone derailleur, but I wanted to keep it all shimano. not sure what you mean by chainguard. Are you talking about the spoke protector? As for the brakes I got period correct first gen dura ace because I didn't like the look of the second gen which had metal connecting the two pivots on the cable side. Right now I kept my old 105 SLR levers because I prefer Aero to Non Aero and the dura ace levers of that era are all non aero and the later 7400 era levers are gray and don't match the chrome. LoL i know its a little form over function. I just found a great set of new Dia Compe aero levers which are drillium and made to look vintage that I think will be perfect. As for the hubs the wheels I have on are an older set acting as place holders while I am having a set of NOS 7200EX uniglide hubs built with a 6 speed 11-23 uniglide silver cassette. I also found a chrome 5 1/2 inch spoke protector which looks perfect and is not as visible as the one I have on now. I know some people hate so called dork discs, but on this era build and a chrome bike I think they look dope. I even found a NOS ex7200 headset which looks perfect and completes the build. Waiting on a 7200 seat post to complete everything. yes I am also surprised at the vertical dropouts. They made chrome DX2000s from 1979 to 1983 and according to the serial # on mine i has a 9 for the first number which could only be 79 as they did not make the chrome DX2000 in 1989. thanks again for the interest. I am going to post pics of brakes and dura ace bar end shifters. Its such a beautiful bike I just wanted to share it with a community that could appreciate the timeless design and aesthetics.

(08-21-2022, 02:38 AM)ApocalypseMeow Wrote:  Thanks Jesper,
I have seen you all over the site so it means a lot to get a reply from you. As for your questions. Its a 61cm 24inch frame. I think the angle i took the photo at makes it look bigger. I actually agree about the Cyclone derailleur, but I wanted to keep it all shimano. not sure what you mean by chainguard. Are you talking about the spoke protector?

Sorry, yes spoke guard. I have been hunting for an old chainguard so it was on my mind. If you put on another spoke guard it should extend well past your largest cog; both for functionality and looks. Definitely will look better with the chromed disc.
I was curious as to its approx. weight, especially now with some ligjter components than stock parts. I know it wasn't their top lightweight, but I assume it was butted tubing being used.
I may end up with a similar bike (80ish Panasonic), but one or two levels lower sport/rec. bike with Shimano Lark and maybe Spirt derailleurs with straight gauge tubes I assume.
It will be nice to get it all D-A; I have some drilled D-A levers circa late 70s that look good when mounted. I really don't know when aero lever cable routing was first introduced (reintroduced?). I would assume that the Shimano "AX" (both D-A & 600) had aero levers and they were early 80s. My Dia Compe AGC and Campy aero levers are mid 80s. Using aero levers is fine, but it does put it into that next generation look giving it one notch up on the modernity scale (80s), altbough it certainly looks clean with the bar end cables also wrapped up. I have also thought that bar end levers make a bike look more modern even though they've been around for over 70 years.
Take care,
Jesper

So, the bike weighs in around 23 pounds down from almost 25. you really can't go wrong with a Panasonic of that era. They were incredibly well-built bikes, even the lower end ones. check out the website https://www.panasonicbikemuseum.info/ and go to the catalogues and within each year there is a full spec sheet which will tell you all about the tubing etc. You are right that the DA Ax and 600 levers were Aero in the early 80s, but the DA AX levers have blue etched font on them, and I really don't like the look. I prefer the aero levers because it just gives the cockpit a cleaner look. The irony is that the bar end shifters are actually the oldest NOS part that I sourced. I believe they came out with the first gen DA in 73. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Good luck on your Panasonic hunt. I'm a sucker for Japanese steel. And "Dork Discs: for life. lol
(08-21-2022, 12:53 PM)ApocalypseMeow Wrote:  So, the bike weighs in around 23 pounds down from almost 25. you really can't go wrong with a Panasonic of that era. They were incredibly well-built bikes, even the lower end ones. check out the website https://www.panasonicbikemuseum.info/ and go to the catalogues and within each year there is a full spec sheet which will tell you all about the tubing etc. You are right that the DA Ax and 600 levers were Aero in the early 80s, but the DA AX levers have blue etched font on them, and I really don't like the look. I prefer the aero levers because it just gives the cockpit a cleaner look. The irony is that the bar end shifters are actually the oldest NOS part that I sourced. I believe they came out with the first gen DA in 73. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Good luck on your Panasonic hunt. I'm a sucker for Japanese steel. And "Dork Discs: for life. lol

Thanks for that additional information. That is a very good weight for a frame of that size and tubing. I need to, at sometime, see if I can find 2 identical frames; one painted and one fully chromed. I was always curious as to what added more weight to a bare frame; I assume newer bikes with clearcoats will be heavier. There was one Italian artisan framebuilder who didn't like to use chrome on forks because it altered their flex, but never a mention regarding weight.
I have a couple Nishiki bikes I ride, but no other Asian stuff in my stable.

My '87 Nishiki Linear

If I end up with the Panasonic it will probably be nothing more than a service overhaul/refurbishment and donation to the Vets bike program.
Take care,
Jesper

I found a 26.6 Dura Ace seatpost. Its amazing how much better it looks .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-26-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: enkei

01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET

08-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Last Post: angel76