Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Urgent help needed with pivot
Hey everybody, how's it goin?

I ordered a new fork from an Ebayer and the returning it, is sort of out of the question.Anyway I really want to know if I'm crazy or has this ever happened to anyone? Can a pivot be too big on 1 side?

I changed the headset, slipped on the new fork, put the tire back on, the left V brake and when it came to the right side I had some problems getting it on. I didn't make much of it and forced it on there a little (maybe not the brightest idea). So then I tried braking and the brakes stick but only on the right side! I did everything I could for about 2 hours before taking the brake off and cleaning it thoroughly. Still didn't work and its really not the brake or the spring. The same set of brakes fit on another bicycle and work fine and the right brake from the other bike doesn't fit on there too. I think if you look at it, very slightly one of the pivots are bigger. It really feels that way when I run my fingers along it. Can I sand it down somehow? The brake gets on there with a little force but doesn't move around the pivot as freely.

The fork is a RST Omni 181 cl for my wife's mtb which is rarely ever used. So i got a cheap fork.

Gotta get it fixed by the weekend somehow....

Regards,
Tom
I've seen pivot that "got tight" usually due to corrosion or getting slightly bent. It could be the post was slightly tweaked at manufacture or when it was welded to the fork. If it is just slightly tight, I'd say you can sand it down a bit, it won't compromise strength. After sanding you really do want to try to polish the surface of the post as smooth as possible. Super fine sand paper, steel wool, etc.

Try to get it so that the post is just loose enough. Too much slop on the post and you tend to get vibration and squeals out of your brakes.
Thanks Dave. Will try to sand it down tomorrow and will let post the results here.

Hava good one
Tom
Use a fine file or 400 grit wet sand paper. Cut a strip and wind it around pivot. Alternative is to ream the brake hole.
Never Give Up!!!
Hey guys,

Yep that did it! Took only 30 seconds to sand it down with a 400 grit. Now it works fine, no squeals & brakes don't stick.

Really surprising that RST's quality control is so low.

Thanks & have a good one!
may not be a genuine RST, lots of copies about for everything!!
if its too cheap to be true, it probably is fake.
Well it wasn't so cheap that you'd go wow about. I just didn't want to bother sending it in to spare me the 2 weeks for posting back and forth. I have the RST warranty that came with it too.

But I guess there probably are lots of fakes. I just hope this isn't one of them because then i'd have paid too much lol.

Hava good 1.

Possibly Related Threads...