Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear Wheel Rubs on Brakes When Pedaling Hard
Whenever I stand and pedal - say up a hill (or crank up the pedaling leverage in some way) my rear wheel rubs against the brakes. I had originally thought it was my lower bracket, but a repair there has eliminated that as the problem. I also believe I have confirmed that it is the wheel "twisting" a bit by opening the brake a bit so as to increase the distance the brake pads are from the wheel when not braking. I also can "wiggle" the wheel back and forth when the bike is at rest and make it touch the brake pads. This is without the wheel spinning in any way and while I am leaning on the bike so as to keep the frame set. The rear quick release is very tight, so the wheel is not wiggling within the frame as a whole.

Since the bike was recently serviced I am wondering if this is a wheel problem - or the brake pads have simply been adjusted so they are too close to the wheel? I believe the wheel was supposedly "trued" during the same service. That said, it also seems to have gotten worse over time.

Thoughts?
The "wiggle" in the back wheel is the likely cause. The wiggle probably indicates one or both of two issues.

If it feels like a distinct "click - click" as you move the wheel back and forth, it is probably that the bearings in the rear hub are loose and need adjustment or a full overhaul. If it feels like the whole wheel just flexes, it could be that the spokes are very loose and you need a re-true and especially a re-tensioning of the spokes.

Hopefully you're still under some sort of warranty for the recent tune up. Though if it is a bearing issue, they may claim this is a new problem, not covered. But you definately want to deal with it soon either way.
Extremely clear and helpful answer and thanks, although sad to hear. There is no click that I can detect, so I think the re-tensioning is probably the issue.

Doug

(04-17-2012, 04:35 PM)DaveM Wrote:  The "wiggle" in the back wheel is the likely cause. The wiggle probably indicates one or both of two issues.

If it feels like a distinct "click - click" as you move the wheel back and forth, it is probably that the bearings in the rear hub are loose and need adjustment or a full overhaul. If it feels like the whole wheel just flexes, it could be that the spokes are very loose and you need a re-true and especially a re-tensioning of the spokes.

Hopefully you're still under some sort of warranty for the recent tune up. Though if it is a bearing issue, they may claim this is a new problem, not covered. But you definately want to deal with it soon either way.

Possibly Related Threads...