Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Mechanical "locking" sound and there's resistance when pedaling
Please watch the attached video. I gave a ride to person on my luggage carrier and her jeans got stuck in the chain. Ever since then, my back has been making this "ticking" sound or whatever you can call it, and it feels as if there's a bit of resistant to the pedals and a "locking" motion sometimes. Moreover, the wheel seems to be swinging a bit in the video and it's not turning in a straight circle. Some of the wheel "rods" (not sure what they're called but the metal rods that spring from the edges of the wheel to center) have also come loose. The wheel also seems to hit the wheel protection cover. What should I do?

Video: https://vimeo.com/594286165
You have to true the wheel but start by looking at spokes - are they all in place?
https://www.bikeride.com/wheel-truing/

It will be easier just to ask a bike mechanic.
Hello @zyxciz !
We have received a reply from our community member via Facebook:

Kim:
Looks like an internal 3-speed hub (I haven't seen one in years!). Be sure the hub is properly adjusted (usually that means put it in the middle gear and adjust the cable so the indicator line is centered).

It looks like the chain might be a bit looser than it should be. Since that's not a derailleur system, the chain should be fairly snug. Loosen the nuts on the rear axel; pull the wheel back until the chain is snug; tighten the nut on the chain side; then make sure the wheel is centered and tighten the other nut.

Those steps should take care of any ticking sound.

Yes, the wheel looks to be a bit out of true. If there is a decent bicycle shop in town the bike mechanic can take care of it by adjusting the spokes. If you don't know a good bike shop, look to see if there is a cycling club in your area. If you still don't find one, try asking around. If all else fails, the last choice is to try to tighten the loose spokes yourself without someone to show you how, but that's taking a chance even if you read up about it and watch some videos, so try to find someone who knows what they are doing.

And, as just about everyone has told you, don't try to give anyone a ride on your luggage rack.
Judgin by the sound, and the wheel wobble, my guess would be you have a broken spoke - those are the metal sticks that extend from the rim to the center - somewhere. That being said you also might have a problem with your hub. Now with that being a most likely 3 speed internal shifting hub, it depends on the shop and what’s wrong with it, but you [i]might[i] be able to get that fixed.
"Steel is real."
- IDK, some guy.
Without knowing all the specifics, but taking into consideration that there was excess weight borne by the rear hub, there is a chance that the hub axle is bent a little. This would best be determined by removing the wheel from the frame (chain off sprocket) and turning the axle by hand (about 5 minutes work if you have the tools; a very quick job for a bike shop). You can leave the cable attached, but I would disconnect that also, but first marking it for reconnection if you are taking it apart at an adjusting point. A bent axle will be felt binding a little bit (or a lot) upon turning, and it also may be visible if bent enough. I would ckeck this first before spending time and money truing the rim and replacing spokes since it will eventually permanently damage the hub if not rectified. I have no idea of how old the bike is and if the hub has a sealed, or cup & cone bearing design (what is the bike, the year, and hub make?). If a bent axle, it would probably be cheaper just to replace the entire wheel assy given the parts and labor costs for the hub repair, as well as the rim/spoke repair.

I doubt the shift cable needs afjusting if no hub damage unless it was not properly set-up prior (was it shifting cleanly before?), or the cable got stretched resulting from the accident; still nor a bad idea to verify. Did the bike hit the ground on the cable side of the hub possibly damaging the outer hub mechanism?

Good luck!
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...