Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Trouble adjusting Campy Record headset
After 25 years on the same headset I replaced my original '81 campy record headset with another from Ebay (NOS).

I've been riding around with a headset wrench trying to adjust the headset just right without success. It seems that something is binding at about the same tightness that would be needed to avoid chatter during braking; My first hack was to take out the ball guide and added another ball or two to the bottom race. That is acceptable but just a little to stiff on the turn.

I'm also thinking of trying slightly larger BBs (5mm vs 3/16") with the thought that this might avoid the still unexplained mechanical binding .

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
ibe
Not sure what you are experiencing, but I will say that there are a lot of possible reasons for brake chatter beside headset adjustment. If the headset is installed and adjusted correctly, you need to start looking for other possible problems. And I don't think the presence or lack of chatter is a good way to measure the adjustment on the headset. Unless there is something specifically wrong on the headset (cup loose in frame, threads on fork too short for proper tightening, etc.) I think you should set it up the way it was designed to be, adjust it, and then start looking for other issues if you still have brake chatter.
Also check that the cups are seated square in the frame, if the bearing races are not completely parallel they would cause the headset to loosen and tighten as the handlebars are turned.

Did you use a headset press, or just drift them in with a hammer and a piece or wood?
I used a threaded rod approximation to a press.
I'm waiting on new pads and checked the front rim for deformations that would cause chatter.

Thanks for the suggestions

(11-09-2010, 08:58 PM)xerxes Wrote:  Also check that the cups are seated square in the frame, if the bearing races are not completely parallel they would cause the headset to losen and tighten as the handlebars are turned.

Did you use a headset press, or just drift them in with a hammer and a piece or wood?

Possibly Related Threads...