Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Single Crank to Triple Crank
Hello to everyone on this forum. As I am sure you can tell, this is my first post but I am sure it wont be my last. I hope to make a few new friends as well as learn alot about my bikes. The question I hope someone can help me with is, having just bought a used Hybrid bike for my wife, it only has 6 gears and I have found a complete set of 8 speed sprocket, 8 speed shifters and built in V brake levers with cables, front and rear derailleur and crank and bottom bracket, basically, all I need to change this bike from 6 to 24 gears. Do I need specific parts for specific bikes, or can they be made to fit on any bike? The parts are off of an 07 Hardrock Sport and my wifes bike is a Raleigh P2000, oh and I hope I have posted in the right place, if not, please forgive my first post,

Regards,

Terry.
Are you sure you want to do this? does your wife need more gears, will she use more gears? if she is riding mostly flat tracks on a hybrid, she doesn't, when you examine a 24 speed bike, you find that the rider has only used about a third of the gears available.
And more gears, more complications.
But, if you want to do it, the only way to be sure is to try, assuming you can fit the parts.
Check out these points first
1/ will the clamp on the FD fit around the tubing on the bike?
2/ can the RD be mounted? is it the same fitting as the existing one?
3/ will the rear wheel accept the 8 speed cassette? probably not, is my guess, which means you need a new wheel.
4/can you find a route for the FD cable?
There are other points that will come into play as you carry out the change over, but these are the biggest stumbling blocks, in my opinion.

Possibly Related Threads...