Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Vintage Bianchi Folding Bike
Hi

I'd like to disassemble the chain guard of this bike in order to paint the whole thing to original colour. Chain guard removal remains a mystery for me. A guy told me that the circular part should be removed as a paint can cover... but I think I could damage the bike by doing so. Any Ideas? thank you!!!

Alfredo from S. America

PS. I took this pic today after a nice 9 miles beautiful ride

ouch! tried to insert image but seems little bit tricky!
Hi Alfredo,
From the looks your pedal crank will have to be removed which is a cottered crank. Let's leave that idea alone for a moment. The two screws near the back of the chain guard definitely have to be removed. As for the front is it all one piece? Not the red arrows in the front, what I am wandering does the circular piece turn with the pedals when moving them? Or does it stay still? If it stays still all you have to do is take off the pedal turn it sideways and remove the whole guard.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I am doing the same thing as you. I have completely removed almost all the parts from the frame including the crank and chain guards. If you are stuck let me know.
(08-01-2010, 08:45 AM)Bill Wrote:  Hi Alfredo,
From the looks your pedal crank will have to be removed which is a cottered crank. Let's leave that idea alone for a moment. The two screws near the back of the chain guard definitely have to be removed. As for the front is it all one piece? Not the red arrows in the front, what I am wandering does the circular piece turn with the pedals when moving them? Or does it stay still? If it stays still all you have to do is take off the pedal turn it sideways and remove the whole guard.

Hi Bill, first of all wish to thank for the time you took to send good advice,seems that circular crank cover stays still...! So i thing you{re right, crank and chainguard can be removed from frame as a whole. Besides that, I do have a 1970 model in restoration process, in that bike it was pretty much easier to remove crank circular cover from chainguard body,since the circular cover itself seems to be a more sturdy part, may be was an improvement incorporated to this later model.In this case the cover was easily removed
as a paint can cover.

I´ll be posting new pics of the process, that may be can help others!

regards from S america

Al
(08-11-2010, 12:27 AM)dsreynol Wrote:  I am doing the same thing as you. I have completely removed almost all the parts from the frame including the crank and chain guards. If you are stuck let me know.

Hi!
I´ll be great to see some pictures!
I´ll be posting some pics soon. Removal of circular crank cover in chainguard of this 1967 model seems to be a little bit tricky process, due to the fact is "rust welded", difficult to try to open without damage. I'll try to loosen with oil or some other product.
thxs!

Al
Glad to hear it is going well for you Smile . Yes by all means put up some pictures.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-18-2022, 02:46 AM
Last Post: JamesKim

07-16-2022, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Jesper

11-20-2019, 11:37 PM
Last Post: baller