Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Newbie - First road bike - grinding noise/ feel
Hello all,

I just purchased my first road bike (recent love for the sport), a Marin Argenta that was received 90% assembled. I completed the assembly then took it to my LBS for a tune up. After the tune up, I can notice a grinding noise/ feel while pedaling with high gears (cogs #1-2-3 I think that is the largest diam. ones, sorry I don't know all the proper terminology yet) and front wheelring is any (I have triple crankset).

I took the bike back to my LBS explaining thT being a brand new bike, I thought it should feel smoothest while pedaling, at any gear selection, they attempted to 'fine' tune the derailleurs (rear mainly).

Eventually they told me that being a new bike it was normal to have that grinding noise/ feel in high gears and that I needed to go thru a break in period with my bike.

I am a bit surprised by that comment but I suppose it can make sense. Could any experience rider share his/her thoughts about the LBS comment?

Very much appreciated and thank you for reading my first post! Smile
Sebastien / IOWA
(07-22-2010, 11:40 AM)sebbie74 Wrote:  Hello all,

I just purchased my first road bike (recent love for the sport), a Marin Argenta that was received 90% assembled. I completed the assembly then took it to my LBS for a tune up. After the tune up, I can notice a grinding noise/ feel while pedaling with high gears (cogs #1-2-3 I think that is the largest diam. ones, sorry I don't know all the proper terminology yet) and front wheelring is any (I have triple crankset).

I took the bike back to my LBS explaining thT being a brand new bike, I thought it should feel smoothest while pedaling, at any gear selection, they attempted to 'fine' tune the derailleurs (rear mainly).

Eventually they told me that being a new bike it was normal to have that grinding noise/ feel in high gears and that I needed to go thru a break in period with my bike.

I am a bit surprised by that comment but I suppose it can make sense. Could any experience rider share his/her thoughts about the LBS comment?

Very much appreciated and thank you for reading my first post! Smile

I'm not sure what might be causing the grinding, but I think your LBS is OTL to say that it's normal for a new bike to sound/feel like that. Maybe take it to another bike shop for a second opinion?
Hi Smile ,
I know this may sound like a simple solution but it is probably the one your looking for ... http://bikeride.com/gear-shifting/ .

Let us know,
Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(07-22-2010, 04:33 PM)Bill Wrote:  Hi Smile ,
I know this may sound like a simple solution but it is probably the one your looking for ... http://bikeride.com/gear-shifting/ .

Let us know,
Bill

Thanks Bill,

I had found this video earlier (and many others I've been watching to educate myself) BUT not quite what my problem is: I experience grinding noise/feel (it is more of a feel thru the chain/crank/pedal) with chain on position 30x27 or 39x27.

This issue bothers me with a brand new bike equipped with Shimano 105 all around. Also the dealer's comment after (re)tuning :'it is a new bike, it will need a break in period for it to disappear!' -> REALLY ??

Maybe I'm being too picky, am I really? Just trying to have my new bike run the way it was designed to.

Thanks for your time and any advice/sugg. you can share with me.
Sebastien / IOWA

Possibly Related Threads...