Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the August Giveaway to Win the SAVA Aurora V3.0 Carbon Road Bike

How should a wheel hub feel turning?
Hello, I'm new here, my dad has given me his 2013 Scalpel 29 4 since he no longer rides and I'm gradually learning how to maintain it because it feels like a bike well worth learning repairs and maintenance for. I'm slowly figuring out what it does and doesn't need to have maintained, what has and hasn't stayed in good condition in the time since he used it.

While doing some unrelated work (taking the front wheel off to install a new rotor and getting ready to bleed the brakes) I held the wheel up by the hub to feel how it turns. I notice that it turns freely enough that the heaviest part of the wheel can gently turn to the bottom without me nudging it, which I assume is a great sign.

I do feel a little bit of resistance when it's spinning though, is that normal? I assume that's just the feeling of the hub turning over the bearings, since I've never held a wheel this way I have no idea what it should feel like and that bit of resistance has me a bit OCD.

Hope my question makes sense! Thanks in advance.
2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29 4
(08-24-2024, 08:50 AM)Mitxel Wrote:  Hello, I'm new here, my dad has given me his 2013 Scalpel 29 4 since he no longer rides and I'm gradually learning how to maintain it because it feels like a bike well worth learning repairs and maintenance for. I'm slowly figuring out what it does and doesn't need to have maintained, what has and hasn't stayed in good condition in the time since he used it.

While doing some unrelated work (taking the front wheel off to install a new rotor and getting ready to bleed the brakes) I held the wheel up by the hub to feel how it turns. I notice that it turns freely enough that the heaviest part of the wheel can gently turn to the bottom without me nudging it, which I assume is a great sign.

I do feel a little bit of resistance when it's spinning though, is that normal? I assume that's just the feeling of the hub turning over the bearings, since I've never held a wheel this way I have no idea what it should feel like and that bit of resistance has me a bit OCD.

Hope my question makes sense! Thanks in advance.

It would seem that your bearing is okay. The best way to check a bearing (without completely disassembling it) would be to spin the hub/wheel free from the frame or fork in a no load situation. If you feel any "rough" areas when spinning or excessive play then the bearing is bad or it has wear that will make it fail shortly (depending on use). If the wheel slowly settles down to its heaviest point then that is a good sign as long as there is no play in the hub. A little resistance felt can be okay and indicates a nice "tight" bearing that may have not gotten many miles. Conversely, it can also indicate a bent axle, or, if a loose bearing design, a bearing that was adjusted slightly on the tight side.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
If you feel resistance, then something could be wrong. The axle could be bent for example, which causes friction in the uneven rotation contact of the cones, the bearings, and the races. Take it apart and inspect it. Some fresh Superlube grease will always be a great addition.
Or a simple way to check a wheel bearing while on the bike is to hold the bike up, spin the wheel, and put a screwdriver against the bearing and put your ear up to the handle, and listen, This is like using a stethoscope, and listen for any roughness.
I like the fact you're taking care of the Scalpel 29 4.
For a start one thing to know is when you hold the wheel by the hub and spin it, a little bit of resistance is normal and usually nothing to worry about. This is from bearings and axle.
If the resistance feels more than a small drag or if there's grinding that means your bearings need to be changed or serviced. Cleaning, greasing, oiling can help
(09-01-2024, 03:07 AM)Talha Wrote:  I like the fact you're taking care of the Scalpel 29 4.
For a start one thing to know is when you hold the wheel by the hub and spin it, a little bit of resistance is normal and usually nothing to worry about. This is from bearings and axle.
If the resistance feels more than a small drag or if there's grinding that means your bearings need to be changed or serviced. Cleaning, greasing, oiling can help

Thank you for your message.

Oh boy am I trying. But as a self taught beginner I feel very overwhelmed by this bike.

On the bright-side gravity bleeding the brakes seemed to go extremely well and that's something I'll probably never forget how to do. On the negative side I think I need help from a pro to solve the last issues bugging me and maybe to check that the wheels are fine. My uneducated opinion is the hubs are good but the front wheel might need truing. Maybe one day I'll actually get to ride the thing :>
2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29 4

Possibly Related Threads...