Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Long lasting knuckle pain after normal bike ride?
Strange/random knuckle pain while biking?

Over 3 weeks ago I went for my usual bike ride that I do about 2x a week - about 5-8 miles total in distance, on the same trail I always ride on, at the same speed I always ride at. Prior to that day I had been experiencing wrist pain so I adjusted the seat of my bike a bit higher, so that my hand bones were in line with my arm bones (basically I made sure I was positioned how one is supposed to sit on a bike to avoid putting pressure on wrists, according to my sources...). It looked better and my wrists weren’t in any pain that used to typical follow my rides. I didn’t notice any pain in my hand that day.

The next day, I noticed soreness in my knuckles. I could feel terrible pain in only one hand when I knocked my knuckles on a surface, and when I would clench and extend my fingers, I felt pain/stiffness. I iced it on and off that day. The next day I “decided” it would “eventually heal whether I ice it or not” because I thought it was just sore from biking, so every day since then I haven’t tried icing it, and it has hurt nearly to the same level of pain every single day for the past 3 weeks now? I will try to ice it again, but it didn’t work the first time, and my concern is this: if a soreness doesn’t go away after 3 weeks, is it even something that can be treated by ice so that it eventually goes back to normal?? It’s my non writing hand so it doesn’t get in the way much of my daily activities, but I find myself stretching the hand often and being able to feel pain if I knock it or stretch my fingers. Also, I am a 25 y/o very healthy female and have not experienced any other abnormalities throughout the time I’ve been feeling this.

I guess my questions are:
-Has anyone else ever experienced something like this and what happened?
-Does anyone know what could be causing the pain?
-How much longer should I wait out the pain before making a doc app? (I’d prefer not to spend the $)
-Any other insight would be so greatly appreciated too.
(08-14-2020, 02:33 PM)Val Wrote:  Strange/random knuckle pain while biking?
I guess my questions are:
-Has anyone else ever experienced something like this and what happened?
-Does anyone know what could be causing the pain?
-How much longer should I wait out the pain before making a doc app? (I’d prefer not to spend the $)
-Any other insight would be so greatly appreciated too.

Hi Val,

I've never had that condition, nor heard of others with same. I have no idea why that would occur from what I assume was a fairly minor saddle adjustment (1/4"-1/2"?). Although, I would have adjusted the height of the bar stem (limited movement, possibly none with threadless stem), and/or adjusted the angle of the handlebar to relieve wrist stress before any saddle repositioning. Adjusting the saddle too high can have its own complications.
Without knowing your speed, I'm assuming you are on the bike for no more than 30 mins. to 60 mins. per ride. That is not very much time overall and if only 2 times a week I wouldn't expect you to be experiencing any discomfort (on a properly set up bike), certainly not anything longer term as you seem to be experiencing.
What general style of handlebar are you riding with?
Have you stopped doing riding for a week or 2 to see if that helps your condition?
Do you do any work/activity (home or "office"), other than cycling, that entails moving that same hand repetitively?
I have been riding for 40 years and haven't heard of this. I think you may want to get some medical consultation given the time period, if you have yet to stop cycling you may want to take a break and see what happens.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(08-14-2020, 02:33 PM)Val Wrote:  Strange/random knuckle pain while biking?

Hey Val,

Any luck finding a cause/solution with the knuckle discomfort?
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-16-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: marc s

12-22-2021, 05:27 PM