Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Freewheel Removal Tools
Looking at freewheel removal tools for single or fixed speed freewheels. I saw two 4-notch removal tools, one of them for BMX freewheels, and the other for regular freewheels. Different shapes. What makes a BMX freewheel any different to a road freewheel? Wouldn't one tool do for both? Would different diameter tools be needed for different diameter freewheels, or would one tool work for say a 13T and a 20T?

Regular removal tool

BMX removal tool
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
Hi Charley,

I don't know about BMX stuff, but there are a bunch of different freewheel removers for road bikes that I've run into. Same for cassette removal, different manufacturers often have a proprietary tool for their particular component. In earlier days many did use a "common" tool, but that has changed somewhat. I know I don't have all the different ones I need, nor does my shop that I frequent. Maillard "Helicomatic" (early-mid '80s) is a good example of a unique tool made only for that particular freewheel, they often came with the bike that they were installed on as a stock tool when buying new. I will defer to others having more experience in this department.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(05-13-2020, 04:48 AM)Jesper Wrote:  I don't know about BMX stuff, but there are a bunch of different freewheel removers for road bikes that I've run into. Same for cassette removal, different manufacturers often have a proprietary tool for their particular component. In earlier days many did use a "common" tool, but that has changed somewhat. I know I don't have all the different ones I need, nor does my shop that I frequent. Maillard "Helicomatic" (early-mid '80s) is a good example of a unique tool made only for that particular freewheel, they often came with the bike that they were installed on as a stock tool when buying new. I will defer to others having more experience in this department.
The reason I'm asking is because of a recent repair I did to a friend's trike, replacing the freewheel after a bike shop said they couldn't do it. I had never dealt with a single speed freewheel, before, and had no idea how to change one on a trike. I like to build up my bike tool kit to handle just about anything on a bike, so I was thinking about getting a freewheel removal tool in case another friend or neighbor needed have a freewheel replaced. I knew there were a couple of different ones but didn't know there were a lot more. I have removal tools for multi-speed freewheels and cassettes, but nothing for single speeds.

It seems highly unlikely that I'll be asked to help with a faulty single speed freewheel, so it's probably best to advise people to take the wheel to a bike shop to get it done. I could remove the wheel and put it back on, so it's not a problem for them to transport.

Aside from that, I recently watched a video of a guy taking a single speed freewheel apart for servicing. As I watched it, I wondered why he would go to so much trouble when it's easier just to get a new one. The purpose of the video was to show how to service it if one was inclined to do that. I have actually given thought to buying one just to take apart, for the experience. I have plenty of time, being retired, and $20 isn't a hefty price to pay to learn. One of the important things to know about dismantling a freewheel is that the little ring with the two notches is a left-hand thread. I'd have been tightening it when I'm trying to loosen it. I like taking things apart to see how they work.

Thanks for your input, Jesper.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
Lightbulb
02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Talha

08-14-2022, 07:32 AM
Last Post: ichitan

06-23-2020, 04:33 PM