Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Schwinn Jaguar Seat Post
My boss found an old Schwinn Jaguar at a house he had bought to flip. He offered it to me, and I brought it home.

Rust is very minimal. It needed new tires, which I took care of. The tubes seemed ok, but I got new ones as well.

The seat was not original, and a bit beat up, so I bought a replacement. When I went to adjust the height, I found out that the seat post was frozen.

After lots of lubricant and some time with a pipe wrench, I was finally able to loosen the post and remove it. It's pretty damaged, so I'm going to need a new seat post.

I can't find any documentation on the Schwinn Jaguar online, other than people selling them. I think I have measured correctly, but I'm just reaching out to see if anyone has any correct information on what size seat post I'm going to need.

Thank you!

- Rob L.
(04-06-2020, 08:35 PM)Rob L. Wrote:  I can't find any documentation on the Schwinn Jaguar online, other than people selling them. I think I have measured correctly, but I'm just reaching out to see if anyone has any correct information on what size seat post I'm going to need.

Thank you!
- Rob L.

Hi Rob,

I don't know specifically what the size is (probably around 25.4mm or so?), but I will check my Schwinn Varsity. More than likely they are the same. These types of posts (if steel) are readily available used, so check around in your bike shops. My co-op gives them away for a dollar or two, but online they are usually around $10-$15 with and without the clamp. If you have a micrometer or can get by a bike, auto, or machine shop; it should be easy to determine the size. 25.4mm is essentially an inch diameter. I believe some of the early posts may be branded with "Schwinn"; my later ('70s) originals have no markings on them. If you check online listings, I would try to contact the sellers and ask them what their post diameter is regardless of what model Schwinn it is from.

General Note: I work in a hospital and we are trying our best with less. Please stay home if at all possible; work, food, gas, medical are necessities, but too many people are out for no reason and stand the chance of becoming infected or infecting others. Always wear a mask (anything is better than nothing) and gloves when in public. Thanks!

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Thanks, Jesper. I really don't need an official Schwinn post. Any replacement will do, as long as it's the correct diameter.

This bike seems to have a clamp already attached to the frame.
(04-08-2020, 10:48 AM)Rob L. Wrote:  Thanks, Jesper. I really don't need an official Schwinn post. Any replacement will do, as long as it's the correct diameter.

This bike seems to have a clamp already attached to the frame.

I was referring to the clamp which holds the saddle onto the post, I'm sure yours is fine if the saddle was on the bike when you got it. I've not checked my post size yet; I'm surprised that someone with the same or similar bike hasn't chimed in yet. I am certainly not the expert on Schwinn bikes. You can always bring the bike by to a shop and they should have a "seat tube diameter" gauge that would give you the correct size.

From an advertisement: "These are what you need for your classic Schwinn bicycle.
American made by Wald in 20.6mm diameter." I would still verify your size; that Wald post size seems rather odd and small!
Take care,
Jesper

Hi, Rob. Do you know how old is this Schwinn Jaguar ? If you have a photo of your bike, post it here and I can forward it to a buddy.
Go figure, my post is the same as that Wald 13/16", 20.6mm. I never had to measure it since I have the original. I still think you'll be in the 25-25.4mm range, I assuming '50s vintage bike.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-28-2021, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Hutch6447

02-24-2016, 11:09 PM