Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Man on e-bicycle, Fire, pregnant woman!
Man riding e-bike passes pregnant woman cooking on open flame BBQ! Volcanic eruption, sinkholes, tectonic plates shifting, asteroids decaying orbits, solar flares, althletes foot! These are all dangers when cycling.
It's dangerous out there.
Hey it’s a dangerous sport!
Dangers or parts of the fun game,I guess..

(11-29-2023, 08:35 AM)Sybian Wrote:  Man riding e-bike passes pregnant woman cooking on open flame BBQ! Volcanic eruption, sinkholes, tectonic plates shifting, asteroids decaying orbits, solar flares, althletes foot! These are all dangers when cycling.
It's dangerous out there.
Wait till it gets dark
Do not worry! I am just spewing out ridiculous things because that is what I see this site devolving towards.

If e-bike batteries are so dangerous than let's use them as a military weapon!

If you want to rant about something repeatedly without providing a true well thought out solution instead in parroting online videos then start your own blog/vlog. "ichitan", I have read a few (all I could take, sorry) of your posts and find that you provide some dangerous advice. Sorry, but I asked professional mechanics with over 30 years of experience and none would recommend your "fixes" as a safe means of repairing a bike for use by another individual (doing it for yourself is your own business). Use whatever you want for yourself (it's your safety), but spare the untested advice (it would require thousands to tens of thousands of miles and years of testing to be deemed safe for general consumption). Some cheap shortcuts should be kept to yourself. I am not a professional in the cycling field (riding, mechanics), but I would readily warn someone that they are undertaking personal risk and there is no legal recourse if your "fix" caused damage, injury, or death to you or another; just saying. I do not have any problem with ingenuity; but a warning is required.
I already know that a defensive response is coming, but I am leaving this site for more realistic cycling sites (already done so) providing safer advice so your comments will only go to those willing to waste more time on meaningless tripe. You should add a disclaimer to all of your comments saying that any following advice is provided by a non-professional, and are cheap and at times dangerous to those attempting to use them even if they have a vast cycling knowledge and experience (engineering, quality control experience would be needed).
To all cyclists: NEVER MOUNT A HOUSEHOLD LED FLOODLIGHT TO YOUR BIKE! YOU ARE BLINDING ONCOMING FELLOW CYCLISTS AND MOTORISTS ALIKE. NEVER MODIFY BRAKING SYSTEMS (upgrade with better parts and have professionally checked/adjusted). If you are technically knowledgeable then you might understand why at home remedies are not always the safest way to go. If you just want to save money without regards to your own safety (or others) then have at it! Warranties voided, insurance won't cover you, etc., etc.

Have a good life and cycling experience. Take the advice of "ichitan" with many grains of salt (it will simulate the pain when your bike faulters from taking the advice of someone trying to save a few coins). I am not at all monetarily independent, but I know foolish advice when I see it based merely on saving money. Yes, one's personal economical and geographical location can limit one's means to have proper parts, repairs, or modifications; but saving money can cost you much more in the long run if saving a little money causes injury, accident damage, death. Invest properly at the start, maintain properly as required per usage/conditions, upgrade as required.

Assuming I will be banned so screw it; novice cyclists should not follow "ichitan".
Goodbye!

Note: this thread was started just to show how something ridiculous will still prompt replies no matter how outrageous, foolish, nonsensical, and and just plain stupid I tried to make it.

Hold on; I am going out to light my cigarette off of my burning lithium ion battery; just kidding, I do not smoke; I used it to light my BBQ!
To respond to all of the issues you raised, each issue would need to be discussed separately. I will respond to the one that seems to upset you the most.

(12-01-2023, 03:54 AM)Sybian Wrote:  If e-bike batteries are so dangerous than let's use them as a military weapon!

Lithium ion batteries have caused billions of dollars damage, and some deaths.

Insurance companies are making insurance for electric vehicles so expensive, many ordinary people can't afford the insurance.

For many reasons, including the fact that people have learnt about battery fires, and the high cost of insurance, there has been a big reduction in electric vehicle sales. Another reason is, electric vehicles are banned from certain places.

Manufacturers have been making electric vehicles that people are not buying.

Car dealers have told car manufacturers to reduce the number of electric vehicles being made.

Over 3000 car dealers in the US, have signed an open letter to the president asking him to slow down his proposed regulations mandating battery electric vehicles.

https://evvoiceofthecustomer.com/

Many car manufacturers have have either stopped production, slowed down production, or delayed production of electric vehicles.

The same type of batteries used in electric cars, are used in electric bikes.

If battery fires are not a problem, why have so many people stopped buying electric cars? Why have insurance companies made insurance so expensive that many people cannot afford it? Why are electric cars and bikes banned in some places?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have shared many of the things I have done to my own bike. In many cases, it has been the first time I tried it. After using some things for some time, I have found them to be good ideas, and will continue to use them. With other things, I will do it differently next time.

Nobody has to do what I have done. Most people wont do many of the things I have done. A few people may try similar things. People can even suggest better ideas. In some cases they have.

It is OK to share a different opinion to mine.

To everyone. I suggest, make a positive contribution to this forum. Share good information so everyone can benefit.

To Sybian. I wish you well whatever you do in the future. If you want to continue on this forum, sharing different opinions to mine, you can. If you don't want to, that's OK.
I think we need a more in depth explanation here
(12-03-2023, 02:12 AM)Lss555 Wrote:  I think we need a more in depth explanation here

If you do an internet search about lithium ion battery fires, and how people have stopped buying electric cars, there is so much information now, there is no need for me to tell you.
(12-01-2023, 03:54 AM)Sybian Wrote:  Do not worry! I am just spewing out ridiculous things because that is what I see this site devolving towards.

If e-bike batteries are so dangerous than let's use them as a military weapon!

If you want to rant about something repeatedly without providing a true well thought out solution instead in parroting online videos then start your own blog/vlog. "ichitan", I have read a few (all I could take, sorry) of your posts and find that you provide some dangerous advice. Sorry, but I asked professional mechanics with over 30 years of experience and none would recommend your "fixes" as a safe means of repairing a bike for use by another individual (doing it for yourself is your own business). Use whatever you want for yourself (it's your safety), but spare the untested advice (it would require thousands to tens of thousands of miles and years of testing to be deemed safe for general consumption). Some cheap shortcuts should be kept to yourself. I am not a professional in the cycling field (riding, mechanics), but I would readily warn someone that they are undertaking personal risk and there is no legal recourse if your "fix" caused damage, injury, or death to you or another; just saying. I do not have any problem with ingenuity; but a warning is required.
I already know that a defensive response is coming, but I am leaving this site for more realistic cycling sites (already done so) providing safer advice so your comments will only go to those willing to waste more time on meaningless tripe. You should add a disclaimer to all of your comments saying that any following advice is provided by a non-professional, and are cheap and at times dangerous to those attempting to use them even if they have a vast cycling knowledge and experience (engineering, quality control experience would be needed).
To all cyclists: NEVER MOUNT A HOUSEHOLD LED FLOODLIGHT TO YOUR BIKE! YOU ARE BLINDING ONCOMING FELLOW CYCLISTS AND MOTORISTS ALIKE. NEVER MODIFY BRAKING SYSTEMS (upgrade with better parts and have professionally checked/adjusted). If you are technically knowledgeable then you might understand why at home remedies are not always the safest way to go. If you just want to save money without regards to your own safety (or others) then have at it! Warranties voided, insurance won't cover you, etc., etc.

Have a good life and cycling experience. Take the advice of "ichitan" with many grains of salt (it will simulate the pain when your bike faulters from taking the advice of someone trying to save a few coins). I am not at all monetarily independent, but I know foolish advice when I see it based merely on saving money. Yes, one's personal economical and geographical location can limit one's means to have proper parts, repairs, or modifications; but saving money can cost you much more in the long run if saving a little money causes injury, accident damage, death. Invest properly at the start, maintain properly as required per usage/conditions, upgrade as required.

Assuming I will be banned so screw it; novice cyclists should not follow "ichitan".
Goodbye!

Note: this thread was started just to show how something ridiculous will still prompt replies no matter how outrageous, foolish, nonsensical, and and just plain stupid I tried to make it.

Hold on; I am going out to light my cigarette off of my burning lithium ion battery; just kidding, I do not smoke; I used it to light my BBQ!

Simply put, a non-electric bicycle cannot ever catch fire of its own accord. An e-bike can. Furthermore, there is ample evidence of e-bikes (along with other devices powered by lithium-ion batteries) posing a heightened risk to people and property. The solution isn't to pretend that there's no risk. The solution is to accept that there's a risk, quantify the risk, decide if that risk is worth worrying about, and if it is worth worrying about, do something about it.

I don't think anyone is saying that ALL e-bikes are going to wipe out humanity. If you do a little digging, you soon find that the problem really comes from cheap, unregulated devices owned and operated by ignoramuses. Pretending this situation doesn't exist or laughing it off as paranoia doesn't solve the problem, which is real.

If everyone who bought such devices was aware of and acknowledged the problems/risks inherent in these classes of device and could/would spend the money needed to reduce the risks to an acceptable level (e.g., by buying quality e-bikes such as those with Bosch systems), we wouldn't be having this 'discussion'.

R/C plane/car/boat enthusiasts use LiPo (lithium-polymer) batteries, which are even more dangerous than Li-Ion. Do they claim the problem is blown out of proportion? No. They take the necessary (and rather onerous/expensive) steps needed to reduce the risks.

BTW, a shooting star flew overhead the other night as i was walking home along the beach. Luckily, I managed to avoid it.
(12-06-2023, 03:33 AM)enkei Wrote:  Simply put, a non-electric bicycle cannot ever catch fire of its own accord. An e-bike can. Furthermore, there is ample evidence of e-bikes (along with other devices powered by lithium-ion batteries) posing a heightened risk to people and property. The solution isn't to pretend that there's no risk. The solution is to accept that there's a risk, quantify the risk, decide if that risk is worth worrying about, and if it is worth worrying about, do something about it.

I don't think anyone is saying that ALL e-bikes are going to wipe out humanity. ... Pretending this situation doesn't exist or laughing it off as paranoia doesn't solve the problem, which is real.

Well said.

Electric car companies, and battery companies, are working on safer batteries as a very high priority. The new systems developed will be better. I don't have inside information, but I believe over half the Teslas made now use safer batteries, and within months, all new Teslas will have safer batteries, and Tesla had quite safe batteries to begin with.

The companies which make batteries, will also make safer batteries for electric bikes. Many bike manufacturers don't give a lot of details about their batteries, so it is difficult to know which brands are safer. I would not buy an electric bike, if they don't supply details about their batteries.

So anyone who does not need an electric bike now, just wait. Future batteries will be safer.
Cycling on the Fourth of July with everyone blasting off their fireworks is one of the most entertaining rides you can do all year.
(02-06-2024, 12:21 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Cycling on the Fourth of July with everyone blasting off their fireworks is one of the most entertaining rides you can do all year.

Devil's Night in Detroit, FTW!