Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

The Wave
Does anyone wave anymore? Curious how a friendly wave to other cyclists differ across the world. It seems like this practice has waned over the years. On my longer weekend rides I can encounter or cross over a dozen riders. I will put up my hand or at least a head nod to all bikers and also to joggers and sidewalk bikes, but sometimes not even a return wage after my wave. Group riders are usually better at acknowledgement but solo riders, not so much. Bored, anti-social, don't care? I don't know. I will continue to wave. 🖐️
I wave a lot.

I like people to feel welcomed.
I try to be friendly. In some cases it might be a wave or nod. Often at rest stops, or wherever I meet others, I will say something to start a conversation, and see if the others want to talk. Many people do. I have met people I have cycled with for the rest of the ride. Some people have become friends.

If you meet people not familiar with the area, they are often glad for someone to show them around.
I agree but sometimes if I catch someone I'll chat a bit if they are into it. Then I'll move on and ask if they want to hook on. Then sometimes I'll meet someone at a rest point and they want to talk when we head out. I like the comradery but I don't like to slow down.
I think its really different for each culture, riders are friendlier or warmer towards people of the same demographic (socio economic class) here, like middle class will wave towards other middle class people and low income riders will wave towards other low income riders. Pretty weird in my opinion because we all share the same passion for cycling
I agree with meamoantonio. I have experienced different kinds of "waves" in the US, South America, and Europe, and now in Asia. Even the way different motorists, and pedestrians acknowledge we cyclists is so varied. I will admit, sometimes when I am too tired after a long day od riding I might return someone's wave as I am lost in my own world of thoughts and to-do lists..:-(

Hello ichitan, I have a story like that from New Mexico where I met a fellow cyclist while I was heading for a long tour. At the end of the tour, I ended up meeting up with him, he hosted me and then we did more rides.

And, I met my bike-dad by waving/riding into each other on a daily basis during our commutes to work. He became my bike-dad because he taught me the bike safety and other bike/life related stuff...:-)

(10-09-2023, 10:11 AM)ichitan Wrote:  I try to be friendly. In some cases it might be a wave or nod. Often at rest stops, or wherever I meet others, I will say something to start a conversation, and see if the others want to talk. Many people do. I have met people I have cycled with for the rest of the ride. Some people have become friends.

If you meet people not familiar with the area, they are often glad for someone to show them around.
(10-08-2023, 01:29 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  I wave a lot.

At least a nod, right? I understand sometimes a rider on a TT bike can't wave, but come on, you are not racing, give a nod. That's another discussion - people riding TT bikes not set up properly, very slow, wanting to join a group ride.
This week, I left home for another 10-12 day bikepacking trip in India and a lot of vehicular drivers would wave at me. Some pedestrians as well. Some invited and treated me to tender coconut, coffee/tea, buttermilk/almond milk. One even invited me to his place and fed me lunch. Most of the days, I would happily interact with these folks and enjoy these genuine interactions. That's the reason I am riding bike such long distances.

But some evenings, I would be tired of waving or too much of socialization. Even though this is winter, it's hot like summer and all my riding clothes, bags are caked with salt from my sweat. So, some point it starts saping my energy and feelings to interact.

So, my take on waving is. I love it and it boosts my moral. But sometimes, I will be too tired when my reserves are low..:-)

Following pic is of a national level volleyball gold medalist I met on the 2nd morning of this trip. He talked to me as he's curious about my journey and such..

(10-23-2023, 08:38 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  
(10-08-2023, 01:29 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  I wave a lot.

At least a nod, right? I understand sometimes a rider on a TT bike can't wave, but come on, you are not racing, give a nod. That's another discussion - people riding TT bikes not set up properly, very slow, wanting to join a group ride.

Attached Files Image(s)

In the city and busy places I don’t usually wave as I’d just being doing it the whole ride. But if I’m out on fire roads, trails or somewhere where you don’t see many riders I always do

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-22-2021, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Kgirl