Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Wildlife encounters while cycling
Hello,

I rode into a mama-baby elephant here in India. So thought of checking with you about your wild encounters and what precautions you take. I got scared and after snapping a picture, I rode back to maintain a safe distance. Oh, I pulled out and had my safety whistle in my mouth incase I needed to make some noise...

Attached Files Image(s)

Damn that’s way cool, all I usually see is deer and antelope. But if your Mtbing in the mountains it’s usually a good idea to take bear spray. Can elephants be pretty dangerous if you accidentally sneak up on them or surprise them?
(09-30-2023, 02:06 PM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello,

I rode into a mama-baby elephant here in India. So thought of checking with you about your wild encounters and what precautions you take. I got scared and after snapping a picture, I rode back to maintain a safe distance. Oh, I pulled out and had my safety whistle in my mouth incase I needed to make some noise...

That's pretty amazing! Only ones ive seen so far are goats, cows and a monkey once. I'm waiting for the people North America to share Bear Encounters while mountain biking, anyone here seen one while riding? I bet that's gonna be scary
LOL. Luckily, the most dangerous wildlife I tend to run into is pedestrians and other cyclists.

However, on every one of my last 3 rides (2 of them on the local cycling track!!! - grrr), I've had to deal with people's out-of-control dogs.

(slightly) fun story: one of my local routes takes me through a quiet(ish) countryside area that often attracts birdwatchers, due to the frequency with which coastal sea birds, birds of prey, etc., appear.

One one ride, I stopped to chat with a couple of photographers who, it transpired, were hoping to catch sight of an owl that had been reported in the area. After a couple of minutes, I bid them adieu and continued on my ride.

I rounded the next curve to see said owl suddenly appear to my right, cruise into my path, and fly along directly in front of me, not 20 metres away, for about half a kilometre. Which was cool. Wish I had GoPro!
I have come across a lot of snakes.

Interesting that reportedly an elephant's top speed is anywhere from 15mph to 40mph(!). Here is the quote "Elephants can run faster than you would expect, easily reaching speeds of 40 mph. I think that might be a little far fetched, but regardless I know they can run fast. I would feel comfortable on a bike, but on foot it might be a different matter altogether. I regularly encounter bears, deer, moose, and a variety of smaller (but not necessarily "tame") smaller animals. Wild turkeys around me are quite the hazard if they become excited enough to chase/attack you.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
During a memorable week-long biking adventure along a segment of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route, stretching from Missoula, Montana, to the magnificent Glacier National Park, each member of our group carried a can of bear spray. As fate would have it, I had the incredible opportunity to observe a family of bears foraging on a berry patch situated on the opposite side of a valley.

As I caught up to my friends and excitedly attempted to pinpoint the exact location where I had seen the bears, I was startled to realize that that area bore the name of "Grizzly Meadows."..

(09-30-2023, 02:50 PM)Lss555 Wrote:  Damn that’s way cool, all I usually see is deer and antelope. But if your Mtbing in the mountains it’s usually a good idea to take bear spray. Can elephants be pretty dangerous if you accidentally sneak up on them or surprise them?
Very cool. I have the deer and foxes and rabbits up north. Bobcats and coyotes and land crabs in the south. 😊
(10-06-2023, 08:12 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

Interesting that reportedly an elephant's top speed is anywhere from 15mph to 40mph(!). Here is the quote "Elephants can run faster than you would expect, easily reaching speeds of 40 mph. I think that might be a little far fetched, but regardless I know they can run fast. I would feel comfortable on a bike, but on foot it might be a different matter altogether. I regularly encounter bears, deer, moose, and a variety of smaller (but not necessarily "tame") smaller animals. Wild turkeys around me are quite the hazard if they become excited enough to chase/attack you.

Out pacing an elephant is a great way to train your V02 Max hahaha
Haha. Even the fear of passing that elephant pair improved my VO2 max... Can't wait to get more such trainings though..

(10-10-2023, 12:02 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  

Out pacing an elephant is a great way to train your V02 Max hahaha
Hello Jesper, your post reminded me of my first ever long ride that was from a suburb of Portland, Oregon to the coast. I did some 60+ miles that day. Towards the end of the day, I was coasting through a desolate part of a state park and I suddenly saw a black bear. I stopped and let it do its thing before starting to breathe again..:-) That wild-life sighting, fresh air and freedom hooked me onto long rides and then I have been blessed with more wild sightings..:-)

7-Year-Old Encounters Bear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHJ8wO3io5Y
Wow, it's not just a bear it's a grizzly..:-( (As per the commentator).

Then I would be carrying bear spray everywhere I go/live in British Columbia or any grizzly country for that matter.