Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

SHIMANO Reamed by US Authorities for selling 2,000,000+ Faulty Cranks HUGE RECALL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwwwEc0hHYI

If you might have one of these cranksets, check this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPnUyUzaO4Q

Going by what is said in these videos, it seems Shimano is still not doing the right thing. It appears the crankset will only be replaced if it has already started to fail. Shimano knows they will all fail in the future, so they should all be replaced.
I read the numbers were 680,000 sold.

And the number of reports was like 4,000.

This could have easily been 4,000 scam reports. The proportions are insane. I never believed any of those claims that the cranks broke. It's like the same CT90 // M290 scamwave all over again if you ask me.
There is a lot of information from many different sources on the internet about these cranks failing. Here is a video from 2 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkEkQV-zK0s
After watching the video it appears that Shimano might only replace them if they've already started to fail.
We should share this clip with all Shimano users and bike groups.
(09-24-2023, 11:49 AM)Talha Wrote:  After watching the video it appears that Shimano might only replace them if they've already started to fail.
We should share this clip with all Shimano users and bike groups.

Shimano is trying to put on a fake act of doing the right thing, while minimizing the cost to the company.

If someone has the type that fails, I suggest demanding a new one, even if it has not started to fail.

When cars get recalled, it applies to every car that has the faulty part.

The authorities in America or Europe might demand they all get replaced.

I would even suggest boycotting Shimano. When you need bike parts, buy other brands.
Here is another video about what to do if you have an affected crankset.

This also includes information for those with powermeters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdqvmeb75d4
Here is another video on this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSV22yUNLlg
I was just reading that Shimano will be releasing an app in October to deal with the issue. I've not had a problem so far with my Ultegra but am a bit nervous now riding 50-60 kph in traffic. I might just replace it with a 105 or if there is a monetary compensation switch over to Campi or SRAM.
(09-30-2023, 08:53 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  I was just reading that Shimano will be releasing an app in October to deal with the issue. I've not had a problem so far with my Ultegra but am a bit nervous now riding 50-60 kph in traffic. I might just replace it with a 105 or if there is a monetary compensation switch over to Campi or SRAM.

Do you have another bike you can ride for the time being? I suggest waiting to see what you can get from Shimano. If you take it off the bike, you might not get anything.
(09-24-2023, 12:00 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  I read the numbers were 680,000 sold.

This could have easily been 4,000 scam reports. The proportions are insane. I never believed any of those claims that the cranks broke. It's like the same CT90 // M290 scamwave all over again if you ask me.

These are very real, ive seen this locally that's why alot of people here stay with 105 rather than upgrade to Ultegra or Dura Ace.

Check out Hambini's video on Shimano DuraAce and Ultegra, he's an engineer that makes reviews of manufacturers and he pretty much called it even before the recall happened
(09-30-2023, 09:12 AM)ichitan Wrote:  
(09-30-2023, 08:53 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  I was just reading that Shimano will be releasing an app in October to deal with the issue. I've not had a problem so far with my Ultegra but am a bit nervous now riding 50-60 kph in traffic. I might just replace it with a 105 or if there is a monetary compensation switch over to Campi or SRAM.

Do you have another bike you can ride for the time being? I suggest waiting to see what you can get from Shimano. If you take it off the bike, you might not get anything.

I was just reading the update on the products affected. Not all will be recalled. First the production tests go from June 1, 2012 - June 30, 2019.
Next, the models are
FC-6800
FC-R8000
FC-9000
FC-R9100
FC-R9100-P
Look on the inside of the crank arm.

Then determine the production code, again looking on the inside of the crank arm. From there an inspection may be needed to determine replacement or not.
Production codes:
KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.

Switch to SRAM! Itll be way better, the way it shifts just feels so unreal compared to Shimano
I know. I had SRAM RED on my last bike but when I bought my current bike, it had electronic shifting. I wanted to try that, and I love it. I checked the serial numbers and manufacturing dates of my Ultegra. I have one that is not involved in the recall, although I am a bit leary of using it hard.

(10-03-2023, 03:30 PM)meamoantonio Wrote:  

Switch to SRAM! Itll be way better, the way it shifts just feels so unreal compared to Shimano

I know. I had SRAM RED on my last bike but when I bought my current bike, it had electronic shifting. I wanted to try that, and I love it. I checked the serial numbers and manufacturing dates of my Ultegra. I have one that is not involved in the recall, although I am a bit leary of using it hard.

(10-01-2023, 08:35 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  
(09-30-2023, 09:12 AM)ichitan Wrote:  

I was just reading the update on the products affected. Not all will be recalled. First the production tests go from June 1, 2012 - June 30, 2019.
Next, the models are
FC-6800
FC-R8000
FC-9000
FC-R9100
FC-R9100-P

Then determine the production code, again looking on the inside of the crank arm. From there an inspection may be needed to determine replacement or not.
Production codes:
KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.

Looking at mine, it is not part of the recall.
(09-30-2023, 08:53 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  am a bit nervous now riding 50-60 kph in traffic.

(10-01-2023, 08:35 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  Looking at mine, it is not part of the recall.

The cranks that were manufactured as a single piece, don't have this problem.

The cranks that have a problem, were manufactured in two pieces, and glued together. If you look at them, you should be able to see a join, where the two pieces come together.
(09-24-2023, 12:00 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  I read the numbers were 680,000 sold.

I don't know if the 680,000 sold is within the scope of the possible defective cranks. The years in question are June 2012 to June 2019

Also check the model codes effected
FC-6800
FC-R8000
FC-9000
FC-R9100
FC-R9100-P

Production codes:
any members form the forum who is affected by this? I wanna know how your local bike shop will address this concern. would like to get a sort of best practice to use when our local distributor would roll out the recall procedure, maybe I can chime in and make it somewhat better for the people affected
(10-10-2023, 12:57 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  any members form the forum who is affected by this? I wanna know how your local bike shop will address this concern. would like to get a sort of best practice to use when our local distributor would roll out the recall procedure, maybe I can chime in and make it somewhat better for the people affected

Here is a video on what one bike shop is doing.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8627.html

Have you been sent similar information from Shimano?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Last Post: nfmisso