Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rethreading New Chain
I feel like I'm being an idiot, but having read multiple things on how to put-on a chain and watched many videos I still can't manage it. I'm using a Sora rear and front dérailleur and am putting on the same chain as I took off, so it should fit!

I'm having trouble when it comes to threading the chain through the rear derailleur - I can't get any tension in it and the derailleur won't pull against the chain. As a result the chain just hangs with loads of slack. Firstly, is my derailleur okay (I hope so!)? And secondly, if it is, how do I get tension in the system? I have heard about pulling it so the jockey wheels are vertical and so under tension, but this does not seem to work either...
Um...That doesn't look quite right.

The "SORA" on the face of the derailleur should be almost parallel to the floor, and the jockey wheels pointed almost downward. Did you do anything to the derailleur when you took the chain off?

Sometimes the "b screw" slips off the limiter plate it rests on, but that doesn't explain why the jockey wheels are so far forward.

Take a close up picture from the rear of the bike so we can see all the adjustment screws.

That'll help diagnose.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
I think I know what the problem is! This is hard to explain , but the jockey wheel arm has to be turned, as we look at the picture, once counter clockwise! I am going to attempt to make a short video of what I mean. It won't be the actual derailler you are using but will give an idea. So give me a few minutes I will be back.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Ok here maybe your answer, maybe it is not. Rest you folks can laugh as I was. There was no script to go by so.... enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFVOETMQjW8
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(02-22-2010, 10:37 PM)Bill Wrote:  Ok here maybe your answer, maybe it is not. Rest you folks can laugh as I was. There was no script to go by so.... enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFVOETMQjW8

Nice video Bill next time show your face so we can see what you look like too lol.
You did a nice job for your first video. As I can see your really getting in to this bike repair stuff.
You keep this up and your shop will open sooner than you think.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Nice work Bill!
Thanks guys, that's seriously helpful, the video in particular.

I had originally taken the chain off to both clean it and because it had a twist in it. The derailleur getting twisted would explain this, and I bet it happened in the car on the way back from the bike shop (I crashed into a car recently and bust the front end!)

I'll have a crack this evening, but I think this should have sorted it.
Brilliant little video Bill.
A picture (moving) is worth a thousand words.
I've not been able to upload a photo never mind a vid'.

Also I think you have the answer!
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Nice work Bill.

Learn something new every day.
Well Bill looks like you hit it right on the head on that video. I did not know they would do that
even I learn from that video. Thanks
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Thanks enormously for that video, Bill - it worked! I new deraileurs could do that, but hadn't realised it could have happened when the wheels were off the frame, nor the amount of force required to flip it round! It's now fixed and so I have now my Bianchi back on the road - I can't wait to do some big miles.
To everyone,
Thank YOU for the kind compliments which inspire me to make a couple more videos in the future. Just ones relating to things as this one. I'll try to be more umm, well thorough with terminology next time. Alex helped me with a few pointers today which I really needed, thanks Alex.

Matt,
I agree that the force needed had to have been alot more then the old derailler I used in the video. That's why some of them do that. At any rate glad you are back on the road again, if ya ever need another question stop back and just post it here, bunch of good people to help. Smile

Bill
Too right.

Possibly Related Threads...