Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the August Giveaway to Win the SAVA Aurora V3.0 Carbon Road Bike

Purchasing First Bike Advice
Question 
I was inspired to start cycling while on my recent trip in Italy. I currently do not own a bicycle and have been trying to research the best bike for me that won't break the bank. I am already an endurance athlete and I run 5-6 times per week, averaging over 30 miles per week as well. I am confident in my ability to get a quickly get comfortable cycling I just need some advice in purchasing a solid bike that will last. I do not want a bike that I feel will underperform based on my abilities but I also don't want to spend an insane amount of money on one either. The bike will be a secondary form of exercise for me, so I am curious as to which bike would be a good fit for me. Any advice would be much appreciated. Please let me know If I did not provide enough information.

Information:
Height 6'0 (183cm)
Weight 160 (72.5kg)
Budget $900-$1,800 US
Area: I live in Central Florida, It is mostly flat, however I happen to live on a ridge where there is slight elevation change, up to 150 ft in change.
Hello Joshua, welcome to the forum!

Start exploring your neighborhood; you might find a good used bike. In the beginning, I wouldn't suggest buying a new bike. Instead, try out any bike you find to see how it feels. That's why buying online can be a bit tricky. I bought my current bike online, but I'm not very particular about fit, weight, and such. I like to "punish" my body. I used to run 30-40 miles while in Boston and used biking for cross-training.

What kind of bike did you ride in Italy? Was it a road bike, a hybrid, or something else? Did you enjoy that bike? Are you looking for something similar or a different kind? Is it for weekend leisure/long rides or just for cross-training?

My gut feeling, without knowing the answers to the above questions, is to get a hybrid bike because it's multifunctional. You can use it to train and go on long rides, but at the same time, it's not too "skinny." So, try various kinds of bikes, maybe by visiting a bike shop or even a Walmart. Again, don't buy one from a big-box store or online, but just to test them out.

I am 6'0" and around 150 lbs and mostly found road bikes very comfortable until I tried hybrids and mountain bikes. Then I switched to a hybrid. Eventually, I got my hands on a fat bike and abandoned everything else.

You could even test bikes that your friends might have before deciding.

Maybe @Jesper has some suggestions or recommendations, as he also lives in FL. I'm not sure which part, but he's pretty knowledgeable.

(06-26-2024, 10:30 AM)Joshua S. Wrote:  I was inspired to start cycling while on my recent trip in Italy. I currently do not own a bicycle and have been trying to research the best bike for me that won't break the bank. I am already an endurance athlete and I run 5-6 times per week, averaging over 30 miles per week as well. I am confident in my ability to get a quickly get comfortable cycling I just need some advice in purchasing a solid bike that will last. I do not want a bike that I feel will underperform based on my abilities but I also don't want to spend an insane amount of money on one either. The bike will be a secondary form of exercise for me, so I am curious as to which bike would be a good fit for me. Any advice would be much appreciated. Please let me know If I did not provide enough information.

Information:
Height 6'0 (183cm)
Weight 160 (72.5kg)
Budget $900-$1,800 US
Area: I live in Central Florida, It is mostly flat, however I happen to live on a ridge where there is slight elevation change, up to 150 ft in change.
Hi Joshua,

When it comes to bicycles, bike fit is paramount. If the bike is the wrong size/geometry or not set up correctly for your body/cycling style, then nothing else will matter.

Having said that, some types of bikes are more forgiving than others. If you're new to cycling, then a hybrid as @GirishH suggested is likely to be a good first bike. It wouldn't hurt to visit some local bike shops and ask them for some suggestions, but bear in mind that not all LBSes are cut from the same cloth and plenty will simply try to sell you something, rather than invest time in finding the best fit for your needs/budget.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a great performance bike, but you do need to understand a bit about mechanics (generally) and bicycles (specifically). For example, I have an outstanding carbon-fibre road bike that weighs well under 19lb and cost me around US$500. It's around 10 years old but I don't race, so I don't need the latest, greatest. But I've been wrenching on cars and bikes for decades, so that makes up some of the cost difference for me.

It would be great if you could find a mentor. Are there any cycling clubs in your area? Ideally, you want one that is relatively relaxed, rather than young guns who focus on training for races, as they usually look at things through lens of competition.

If you have mechanical skills, you could buy some books on bike maintenance (and watch the Park Cycles YouTube videos), and buy a cheap used hybrid to service/fix up yourself. That way, the cost of experimenting until you find the right bike for you should be lower.

You'll inevitably have to experiment with things like saddle, saddle position, handlebars, etc., to find what suits you.
Hello Joshua,

I wholeheartedly second Enkei's suggestions. Though I had ridden hand-me-down bikes all my life when it came time to buy my own, I bought a used bicycle after riding it to ensure that it fit me well and I liked the way it "rode". Then, I learned the games of the rope starting with small things like fixing a flat, fixing a dropped chain, and adjusting brakes and such. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are (for the record, I am scared to death) but practicing these simple tasks will go a long way in upping your confidence.

Then, you can branch out and go explore the neighborhood on your bike before riding to the next town and then the next state..:-)

Wishing you the very best. Please keep us posted on what bike you end up getting.

(07-05-2024, 05:23 PM)enkei Wrote:  Hi Joshua,

When it comes to bicycles, bike fit is paramount. If the bike is the wrong size/geometry or not set up correctly for your body/cycling style, then nothing else will matter.

Having said that, some types of bikes are more forgiving than others. If you're new to cycling, then a hybrid as @GirishH suggested is likely to be a good first bike. It wouldn't hurt to visit some local bike shops and ask them for some suggestions, but bear in mind that not all LBSes are cut from the same cloth and plenty will simply try to sell you something, rather than invest time in finding the best fit for your needs/budget.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a great performance bike, but you do need to understand a bit about mechanics (generally) and bicycles (specifically). For example, I have an outstanding carbon-fibre road bike that weighs well under 19lb and cost me around US$500. It's around 10 years old but I don't race, so I don't need the latest, greatest. But I've been wrenching on cars and bikes for decades, so that makes up some of the cost difference for me.

It would be great if you could find a mentor. Are there any cycling clubs in your area? Ideally, you want one that is relatively relaxed, rather than young guns who focus on training for races, as they usually look at things through lens of competition.

If you have mechanical skills, you could buy some books on bike maintenance (and watch the Park Cycles YouTube videos), and buy a cheap used hybrid to service/fix up yourself. That way, the cost of experimenting until you find the right bike for you should be lower.

You'll inevitably have to experiment with things like saddle, saddle position, handlebars, etc., to find what suits you.

Possibly Related Threads...