Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Where are you from and What is your favorite place to ride?
I am in north-central Arkansas, USA and ride both pave and dirt. MTB primarily. Here is a link http://www.norfork.com/cycling/ to one of my local playgrounds just 15 minutes away, and another http://www.ozarkgetaways.com/syllamo_mountain_bike_trail.html 30 minutes to the south.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I live in suburban St. Louis, MO. There are miles and miles of country roads out here (just watch out for dogs). It's pretty flat and the wind can be killer sometimes. There are also over a hundred miles of bike trails made from old train tracks. The best ride I've done so far is from Alton, IL to Grafton, IL on the Great River Road bike trail. It's 10 miles one way and has some of the best scenery in the area. The Riverfront trail is pretty cool too. It goes from the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge (old U.S. 66) over the Mississippi down to the Arch in downtown St. Louis, 13 miles one way. The pic is the Great River Road.
Josh,

If I'm ever in your area, I sure would like to make that ride with you. Looks really scenic.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Very cool pic, Josh! Do you ever get a chance to ride the Katy? A little group of us from AR head up there every other year.
(01-07-2011, 06:38 PM)JohnV Wrote:  Josh,

If I'm ever in your area, I sure would like to make that ride with you. Looks really scenic.

It's best in the fall, it gets pretty humid and nasty in the middle of summer.
(01-07-2011, 07:58 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Very cool pic, Josh! Do you ever get a chance to ride the Katy? A little group of us from AR head up there every other year.

I haven't ridden the Katy yet. All I have is a road bike but I'm looking to get a hybrid or a mountain bike soon.
Quote:It's best in the fall, it gets pretty humid and nasty in the middle of summer.

I'm from Florida ..... we know humid.

My wife and I are getting close to retirement and part of our bucket list is to start traveling all over the US and go bike riding through many of the areas we haven't seen yet. I will add this to our list of places to go.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(02-09-2010, 01:13 PM)ಠ_ಠ Wrote:  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=arlington+ave+Pittsburgh,+Pennsylvania&daddr=Arlington+Ave+to:Josephine+St+to:40.437704,-80.000167+to:Penn+Ave&hl=en&geocode=FS66aAIdPps7-ynXikZYa_E0iDHR1PfnlomUZg%3BFW64aAIdCtM7-w%3BFbjGaAId3dg7-w%3B%3BFc09aQIdEI07-w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=15&via=1,2,3&dirflg=w&sll=40.437835,-79.994974&sspn=0.014307,0.042272&ie=UTF8&ll=40.437671,-79.981842&spn=0.057226,0.169086&z=13

I live in Pittsburgh, and this is my approximate route to work in the morning. I'm usually on the road at about 3-4am, and it's so peaceful. My favorite part is that I go through 3 or 4 different neighborhoods in the span of about half an hour. My house is in a somewhat suburban area, with lots of trees and hills and wildlife (in one week I saw 7 deer and a fox). Next comes Southside, the party area, tons of bars, and there's always people out. Downtown is usually empty, and then my work is in the small, local business center of town, and there's usually just a few people out going to work. At least 10 people who work within a 3 minute walk of my job also ride to work Smile

I've been wanting to figure out how to hook up a camera to take video while I ride, there's an amazing view of downtown when I'm going down the hills Smile

I am originally from the Pittsburgh area and visit family now and then. Pittsburgh did a great job for cyclists.
I live in Ipswich, MA about 45 minutes north of Boston, and lived in the Berkshires on the other end of the state for 30 years. The rides here are great, and I created an interactive map of these rides that links to RWGPS , descriptions and cue sheets for each ride at http://ridemap.info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0peyd4l7BpA
see the video to see what we ride in Arkansas.
By the way... the jams are courtesy of The Ozark Mountain Daredevils should you wonder. Jackie Blue was thier big hit in the 1970's.
I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. Riding here, especially this time of year, is wonderful. Hills aren't a major concern because we are probably one of the flattest lands on earth. Actually probably not, but it's a nice sentiment. I love smooth bike rides because my tires don't seem to be able to handle much else. Perhaps it's not my tires but the lack of shock absorption that I experience when not on a paved city road, but whatever. Riding downtown is the most fun, one of the reasons being there are bike lanes down there. Smile
Quote:I've been wanting to figure out how to hook up a camera to take video while I ride, there's an amazing view of downtown when I'm going down the hills Smile

i actually have a camera that fit perfectly on my forks,its called a mini dv and it about the size of my thumb and records in 720i so its a very high quality picture.you can get them from amazon and ebay heres a link to them http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-MiniDV-Camcorders/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A15346061&page=1

my fave place to ride used to be a place called ferry meadows in peterborough uk but ive moved about 200 miles north now so i need to find a new place, im slowly working out where things are but its easy to get lost on all the country roads up here
[attachment=2524]
you can just about make out the camera on the fork.
http://www.neneparktrust.org.uk/ferry-meadows
ride until your wheels fall off
Saco, Maine
Berwick, Maine

[Image: 10835_188172829844_186489429844_2979897_4588265_n.jpg]
I am from shenzhen,China.
My favorite place to ride is the circle highway.Thrilled and excited!
I live (now) just outside of the Gila wilderness in New Mexico and the best biking I do is pretty much anywhere. I can go fast and far on the road but I can find camping much better off the road so I have a bike that I can ride on both.
we have all been given life, yet not all have lived
(01-16-2010, 07:32 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  On or Off-road either one.

I currently live in Gainesville, FL. I make it down to Ocala, FL twice a month to ride Santos MTB Park.

I lived in Gainesville years ago and got real serious on cycling the road out to Noonan's Lake.
(01-17-2010, 07:49 PM)JonB Wrote:  I'm currently in Wales, UK. I'm more of an MTBer:

My favourite Downhill course at the moment is Caersws, quite a major venue and a good, muddy laugh.

I also like XC/All mountain stuff as well, with Brechfa and Coed-Y-Brenin in Wales being firm favourites. My University MTB club often to ride-outs to Nant-Y-Arian (about 10-15) miles away. I love some of the views we get whilst blasting round:

...and the carnage of riding down a long, steep scree slope on the way back!

I know this is a years old post but, gnarly dude, I mean f'in awesome

(01-22-2010, 06:57 PM)ATX760 Wrote:  I dont have pix of spacific trails but this is what the country looks like in northern California. and the lake pic is the famous Lake Tahoe which has the Lake Tahoe Rim Trail which I plan on riding this Spring.

Gorgeous. Went to massage school in NCal. Brings me back.
(06-05-2011, 01:25 AM)Chelsea Wrote:  I live in Lincoln, Nebraska. Riding here, especially this time of year, is wonderful. Hills aren't a major concern because we are probably one of the flattest lands on earth. Actually probably not, but it's a nice sentiment. I love smooth bike rides because my tires don't seem to be able to handle much else. Perhaps it's not my tires but the lack of shock absorption that I experience when not on a paved city road, but whatever. Riding downtown is the most fun, one of the reasons being there are bike lanes down there. Smile

I like city riding, too, Chelsea, I like bike paths because it's social
(01-09-2011, 08:47 AM)JohnV Wrote:  
Quote:It's best in the fall, it gets pretty humid and nasty in the middle of summer.

I'm from Florida ..... we know humid.

My wife and I are getting close to retirement and part of our bucket list is to start traveling all over the US and go bike riding through many of the areas we haven't seen yet. I will add this to our list of places to go.

Hear ya on the humid, grew up in Florida. Try the Pacific NW July-Sept. Warm, brisk, beautiful.
When your old, fat and bald, my favorite place to ride is vicariously through others ! Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-20-2013, 11:47 PM)painkiller Wrote:  When your old, fat and bald, my favorite place to ride is vicariously through others ! Smile

Old is as old does, dude
thats funny redfox ! Relax dude, I am not that old, I still act like I am 20 I try to make every ride my favorite place to ride. I just love to ride and thrash, just takes a little longer to heal ! Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I'm John, and I live in Palm Coast FL, which is on the east coast of the state, just north of Daytona. I mostly ride on paved trails, but you also get a lot of this:
[attachment=5665][attachment=5666]
That's why I like a suspension fork on my bike!
that's awesome on all of you places to ride love the scenery
southern pride