Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

It's fun on a bike in a traffic jam
A couple of times recently, I came across traffic jams, where vehicles would stop, then move a little, then stop again, again and again. I went through on my bike. I went flying past large numbers of cars. I did kilometers, in the time some of them might have done 20 or 30 meters. It was fun to be on the bike on those situations.

Have you had similar experiences?
I totally agree, I live in the city and it’s always nice just to blow by the traffic. The one thing I’ve seen people do that I wish I could is in the really tight traffic where your bars can’t fit through, people will do a manual and put their bars straight in the tight spots. Bad ass imo. But either way zooming through traffic is always a good time 🤘🏼
Even better than flying past queues of stopped traffic, for me at least, is simply going cross-country away from roads and leaving all the traffic behind. Where I live, there are so many much more direct routes that one can enjoy on foot or bicycle that are off-limits to cars.
(04-22-2023, 06:42 PM)enkei Wrote:  Even better than flying past queues of stopped traffic, for me at least, is simply going cross-country away from roads and leaving all the traffic behind. Where I live, there are so many much more direct routes that one can enjoy on foot or bicycle that are off-limits to cars.

Yeah that’s nice but I don’t know it’s like trail running vs running down a hotel hallway you feel like a super fast boy. usually kills two birds with one stone too, as your going to work or trying to get somewhere if you’re biking in the city.
Hello ichitan, that's the primary reason why I started commuting to work in Boston. All/most roads here are single-lane and get clogged during morning rush hour, but cyclists and walkers could still move..:-) So, felt great to be on the move when the rest of the workforce was stuck in traffic..;-) This is after obeying all the traffic laws. I see a lot of cyclists flying through red lights. That's pretty dangerous and sadly brings a bad name to the rest of us (cyclists)..
(04-22-2023, 06:42 PM)enkei Wrote:  Even better than flying past queues of stopped traffic, for me at least, is simply going cross-country away from roads and leaving all the traffic behind. Where I live, there are so many much more direct routes that one can enjoy on foot or bicycle that are off-limits to cars.

(04-24-2023, 09:38 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello ichitan, that's the primary reason why I started commuting to work in Boston. All/most roads here are single-lane and get clogged during morning rush hour, but cyclists and walkers could still move..:-) So, felt great to be on the move when the rest of the workforce was stuck in traffic..;-) This is after obeying all the traffic laws. I see a lot of cyclists flying through red lights. That's pretty dangerous and sadly brings a bad name to the rest of us (cyclists)..

I can certainly agree with both comments; but the caveats where I cycle include having to be riding in the trash and debris (glass, sharp metal stuff, etc.), and also dealing with the motorists who suddenly swerve into your path in an attempt to find out why they are not moving very fast; they are not looking for an oncoming cyclist who is travelling around 20mph. I have been run into the dirt and guardrail before, as well as hitting the car itself (not pleasant!).
(04-26-2023, 04:29 AM)Sybian Wrote:  I can certainly agree with both comments; but the caveats where I cycle include having to be riding in the trash and debris (glass, sharp metal stuff, etc.), and also dealing with the motorists who suddenly swerve into your path in an attempt to find out why they are not moving very fast; they are not looking for an oncoming cyclist who is travelling around 20mph. I have been run into the dirt and guardrail before, as well as hitting the car itself (not pleasant!).

Used to commute in London on two wheels (bicycle and motorcycle). Can totally relate. Add gormless pedestrians dashing out from between stopped cars to that list.
(04-22-2023, 06:30 AM)ichitan Wrote:  A couple of times recently, I came across traffic jams, where vehicles would stop, then move a little, then stop again, again and again. I went through on my bike. I went flying past large numbers of cars. I did kilometers, in the time some of them might have done 20 or 30 meters. It was fun to be on the bike on those situations.

Have you had similar experiences?

I love the feeling of a car not letting me pass and giving me right of way then just zipping by it 5mins later at a traffic stop

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post