Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bottom Bracket Tool
Has anyone come across some of the older bottom brackets that have the 16mm slotted adjustable bottom bracket cups? Is there anyway to remove these cups with out this tool? I have literaly used giant vice grips but it won't budge.
I've had some luck carefully using an adjustable wrench, but it's not the best way. Luckily I have the proper wrench now, which they've stopped making for some reason. Hopefully others have some better ideas.
Actually, I just found a retailer that sells it here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PARK-BIKE-HCW-11-ADJUSTABLE-BOTTOM-BRACKET-WRENCH-TOOL_W0QQitemZ290389877910QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100110
awesome, Thanks Alex, I got a little carried away. I bought it, also a bearing cup remover, some cone wrenches, one of those magnetic bowls, and a new freewheel tool.
Something I have been noticing lately is that Amazon's prices have been more reasonable then ebay's prices. After the thread of Mountain Bike vs. Road Bike I decided to purchase 2 Kenda K838 tires with one inner tube and they all came up to 29.99 + tax but NO shipping charge. Just got them today and I really am pleased with the shipping packing etc. What is cool I know that part of that purchase will go towards the running of this site. Alex you may correct me if you like lol. Also bought The Bicycle Wheel 3rd edition (thanks for reference Joe) and The Art of Wheel Building books, both very nice, again free shipping! Took less then the time they said with tracking numbers!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I used the wrench to get the bottom bracket cup out, that thing was SOOO stuck. I had to take the frame off the stand, I got down on the floor and stuck my leg through the frame and wrapped it around it to hols it steady. It was like Greco Roman Frame Wrestling. I got it though.
Hey Jordan,
What kind of bike was that cup on? I just went through some heck using an adjustable wrench. Not sure of the size so I was wandering.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
The bike I was working on is a 2008 GMC Denali Road bike. Usually low end bikes or older models will use these cups.
Ok that is the dilemma I am in, Adjustable wrenches are nice but such a pain in the neck!! When I was removing the cup the wrench kept slipping off. Time to get one of those. Big Grin
Yeah, I tried using two 16mm cone wrenches but i could not get enough torque. I pulled the trigger and bout the wrench, it was only like 12 bucks. Hopefully I'll get a lot of use out of it.
I am wandering if the HCW-4 is the same as the HCW-11?
No actually that's a completely different tool, that's for the 36mm flat end cup. I have one of those and I tried using it. No luck
Yea after I posted that and went to the store I realized ,"Bill that is not even close!" One is 16mm and the other is 36mm.
It probably could'nt hurt to own both tools though. I'm sure you'll come across a frame that has those cups on it eventually.
Thats true Jordan in time I probably will. Already have 2 guys that want me to do a complete overhaul on their kids' bikes. BMX of course lol. I love the 20" models, simple and easy.
Yeah, I know right. No derailers to mess with, no shifters to adjust. Just plain and simple. I am right there with ya.

Possibly Related Threads...