Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Scott Voltage yz-3 2008 problem
Hello. I got a 2nd hand Scott voltage yz-3 2008 frame. Due to poor Mail Services, it appears that the frame has been hit durring the shippment. The tube where the crank hub is to be inserted ended up slightly deformed by like 1or2mm so it's not "so round" as it should be. It might not sound like much but it's enough for not being able to get the hub in. Any suggestions please?

Thank youConfused
(01-05-2010, 06:14 AM)valikek Wrote:  Hello. I got a 2nd hand Scott voltage yz-3 2008 frame. Due to poor Mail Services, it appears that the frame has been hit durring the shippment. The tube where the crank hub is to be inserted ended up slightly deformed by like 1or2mm so it's not "so round" as it should be. It might not sound like much but it's enough for not being able to get the hub in. Any suggestions please?

Thank youConfused

Hello valikek,
You have a picture you could post? It doesn't sound good of what you are explaining but it is best to see before I say anything. I think there is a tool to straighten that out unless I am thinking of something else.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Managed to "re-round" it with a bit of heat ^^. Just gotta remake the first 3 or 4 rows of the thread and it's good. If there's anything else I`ll be back. Thanks anyway ^^
(01-05-2010, 09:22 AM)valikek Wrote:  Managed to "re-round" it with a bit of heat ^^. Just gotta remake the first 3 or 4 rows of the thread and it's good. If there's anything else I`ll be back. Thanks anyway ^^

Oh ok well congrats and glad you it going good so far. Just notate how it is threaded (left hand or right hand). Stinks that shipping did that. If it were me shipping I would've put atleast a couple used races in the BB for support. Also look over the frame very carefully to make sure it did not get bent out of whack.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Na.. it's just the tube. The frame has some scratches from being used :p.. but has no cracks or anything. Will come back when I get it done Big Grin

Awesome site by the way
Um...Am I correct in assuming the bottom bracket shell was deformed? If so, it MIGHT be worse than you think.

The bottom bracket and bottom of the seat post bear almost all of the load imposed on a bicycle.

Reference: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/fea.htm Figure 7 shows the loads in clear cut numbers.

If the shell of the bottom bracket has been deformed, it could weaken the frame, and with the amount of force applied, it COULD result in a catastrophic failure of the shell. And I don't believe there is any way to tell before it actually happens.

I'm not saying the frame is junk, I'm just saying be careful. Bottom bracket shells weren't meant to be deformed and then reformed.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post