Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1999 Trek 7500 modified
1999 Trek 7500 modified to a sport/fitness Hybrid, tons of new old stock goodies on this solid platform

Attached Files Image(s)

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Nice green machine; looks like a brand new bike! I have no idea what was changed, but those brakes certainly appear adequate.
I saw one for sale yesterday at my local recycle/repurpose 'junk' shop for $100 (had regular canti brakes unlike yours) that needed a little sprucing up. Had it been $70 or less I'd have gotten it. Still walked out with a pair of perfectly functioning Look pedals, Felt threadless stem, and SunTour winner pro freewheel for $7.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I got the bike given to me, it was a mess with good bones. I ended up doing a frame off rebuild and about $600 dollars later this is what it ended up.
New bars, barends, grips, Levers/brakes, cables/housing, wheel skewers, seat/seatpost, pedals/clips, tubes/tires,frnt and rear derailluers, chain ,cassette,
pump, bottle cage, all new and Nos parts. All the bikes I refurb get the treatment, before assembly I hand polish the entire frame and fork, sometimes taking a few hrs just for that alone.
This is a 1999 model year
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Needs a Biopace crank. Angel
(03-05-2022, 07:01 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  I got the bike given to me, it was a mess with good bones. I ended up doing a frame off rebuild and about $600 dollars later this is what it ended up.
New bars, barends, grips, Levers/brakes, cables/housing, wheel skewers, seat/seatpost, pedals/clips, tubes/tires,frnt and rear derailluers, chain ,cassette,
pump, bottle cage, all new and Nos parts. All the bikes I refurb get the treatment, before assembly I hand polish the entire frame and fork, sometimes taking a few hrs just for that alone.

Really great job! That frame must have been barely used or super well kept for +20 years old. I should have taken better note of what exact model the junk shop had. My brother rides a 700 series he picked up at a thrift shop for $25.
I noticed the extra reinforcement at the down/head tube conjunction; do you know if that was a standard design, or only available on the upper tier Multitracks?
Wish those welds were hollow ground to clean up the looks on these 'newer' frames.
Take care,
Jesper

(03-05-2022, 11:23 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Needs a Biopace crank. Angel
always loved those, I have a couple NOS cracnksets that are Biopace, If I end up keeping the bike I will probably put one on and toss it my trainer. I have the bike for sale at the moment

(03-06-2022, 03:57 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(03-05-2022, 07:01 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  I got the bike given to me, it was a mess with good bones. I ended up doing a frame off rebuild and about $600 dollars later this is what it ended up.

Really great job! That frame must have been barely used or super well kept for +20 years old. I should have taken better note of what exact model the junk shop had. My brother rides a 700 series he picked up at a thrift shop for $25.
I noticed the extra reinforcement at the down/head tube conjunction; do you know if that was a standard design, or only available on the upper tier Multitracks?
Wish those welds were hollow ground to clean up the looks on these 'newer' frames.
The 700 series were steel, the 7000 series were alloy so I would say the gusset was normal. The bike originally was gripshift with riser bars and adjustable stem, not a fan of that equippment or the shocker seatpost. so that is why I changed it all out to give that retro steelie feel to a 700c hybrid. The angles of which are very similar. It had been sitting for quite some time, not exactly what I would have called taken care of but more so neglected. Here is a pic of the pile of parts I replaced. sorry I should have taken some before pics but had this one anyways

Attached Files Image(s)

It was hard to say goodbye to this fresh build. it listed for around $569 dollars back in 1999. Sold today for $650 and the guy could not have been more happy. He said this bike was higher quality and smoother, and what he was looking for, more so than anything new for even more money. I have always stated when refurbishing a bicycle properly it will always retain value. This was no exception. The formula is simple, if you have to replace stuff make sure it is equal to or better than original, make sure that every piece of the bicycle is 95% + perfect or replace it. Make sure it is clean and un ridden till time of sale
Good job on the sale! I agree with everything you said; everything should look as if it had not been ridden if possible except for necessary adjusting and test ride; and as good or better parts build-up. A bit harder to achieve on some of the bikes I deal with being that they are often over 40 years old. Folks looking for them actually prefer lesser quality in many cases even if the bike would look and function better. Usually I can get away with using a Sun Tour freewheel, but try to use a better functioning 70s Sun Tour derailleur over an unevolved (and overpriced) 70s-80s Campy mech and you get some odd looks. I like to ride original equipped bikes, but not for competition unless it's an eroica event; otherwise I do have some "modern" (compared to my usual fare) equipped bikes that handle the job, and aren't laughed at. At least with track bike there's not much difference except frame material.

You definitely did it justice. Hate those adjustable stems! I have one on my hill climber up north just because my brother needs a different set-up than myself due to his bad back. At least saves time doing a swap everytime I ride it. Even my favorite 3t Mutant stem has an adjustable version that I think looks like ÷%#!
Take care,
Jesper

Thanks Jesper, Thats why I can appreciate what you do with the bicycles of your niche, I steer away from them but do admire their beauty. My oldest road bike is a 1990 Specialized Epic Allez
(03-05-2022, 11:23 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Needs a Biopace crank. Angel
I always liked Biopace cranks, I have a few Nos in boxes, but that would be more of a retro mod on this bike. with Biopace I think more late 80s early 90s

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-11-2020, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Jesper

08-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Painkiller