Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Zanella Special with Air Fork
Great frame built by Dino Zanella who was a master frame builder for Colnago (both production and specialty frames). Fairly hard to find these frames nowadays and much more expensive than they were about 10 years ago. I'm not sure when Dino passed away, but I don't think they have produced any handmade racing frames for some time. The shop is still open, but selling shop branded factory commuter bikes. If you have a Colnago from the 70s-80s you may very well be riding a Zanella frame.

This "Special" model frame has Columbus "SL" tubes and a Columbus "AIR" fork; Cinelli BB shell. Campy rear dropouts and Gipiemme front drop-outs. Engraved head badge, BB shell, and top tube signature. Since I just stripped a bike I have full set of parts (Campy Chorus) to throw on it and get it on the road in a week or so. It has a 127.5mm rear fork so it is either an odd size, was designed for earlier 6/7 speed clusters and later 7+ speed clusters, or has been cold set previously. I do not find it to be an issue since it was probably 126mm, and it should not affect me whether I use a 6, 7, or 8 speed cluster. Excellent paint work that I would assume was outsourced since is rather custom work. Earliest Zanella frames had decal head badges and not engraved so I assume this to be mid to later 80s, possibly very early 90s. Chorus group I have for it is about '91-'92.

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
she is a beauty
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Wish I could follow the boomer rush here.

Chro-mo frames make me feel old and out of breath.
(02-27-2022, 09:47 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Great frame built by Dino Zanella who was a master frame builder for Colnago (both production and specialty frames). Fairly hard to find these frames nowadays and much more expensive than they were about 10 years ago. I'm not sure when Dino passed away, but I don't think they have produced any handmade racing frames for some time. The shop is still open, but selling shop branded factory commuter bikes. If you have a Colnago from the 70s-80s you may very well be riding a Zanella frame.

This "Special" model frame has Columbus "SL" tubes and a Columbus "AIR" fork; Cinelli BB shell. Campy rear dropouts and Gipiemme front drouts. Engraved head badge, BB shell, and top tube signature. Since I just stripped a bike I have full set of parts (Campy Chorus) to throw on it and get it on the road in a week or so. It has a 127.5mm rear fork so it is either an odd size, or has been cold set previously. I do not find it to be an issue since it was probably 126mm, and it should not affect me whether I use a 6 or 7 speed cluster. Excellent paint work that I would assume was outsourced since is rather custom work. Earliest Zanella frames had decal head badges and not engraved so I assume this to be mid to later 80s, possibly very early 90s. Chorus group I have for it is about '91-'92.

Cool frame Jesper; great fork design.

(03-04-2022, 11:57 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Wish I could follow the boomer rush here.

Chro-mo frames make me feel old and out of breath.

I'm not a "boomer"; but if "chro-mo" frames make you feel old and out of breath then you might need to monitor your macro and micro nutrients better, and get in better condition! Funny how high quality lightweight steel frames are still being made by some major builders as well as boutique artisan builders. If you have not ridden a high quality steel frame then you are probably never going to realize the difference between the cheaper made aluminium and steel frames on the market at the time this frame was made; and even today. Typical attitude and response of someone who may never have raced or ridden on a great frame. There is no "boomer rush" for older quality frames; folks of all ages are riding these frames; and unfortunately, many (younger juvenile cyclists (GT riding?) are "destroying" classic (and newer) frames just to make a fixed gear out of a road bike.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post