Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Is my bike too big or do I just need to learn how to ride?
Hi all -

New here and new to mountain biking with 8-10 rides under my belt all but the last 2 on borrowed bikes. I purchased a medium from Liv with 29" wheels about a week ago. It is beautiful and rides great but when I need to step off quickly or, more accurately my mind wanders and I need to catch myself, I feel like I don't have enough clearance which ends up making me a little nervous the whole ride.

I have a few weeks to continue to try it out so happy to hear tips to gain skill and comfort but also have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so have been looking into options available in this very tight market. I can ask the shop to order a small frame with 29" wheels but it looks like those are out of stock at the manufacturer and I imagine it's unlikely I'd get a bike before the end of the year. I does look like extra-small frames are available but only accommodate 27.5" wheels and I have been looking mostly for 29" at the recommendations of just about every mountain biker I know.

So - questions: How big is the difference between 27.5" and 29" wheels when riding? I will not likely ever be a very aggressive rider as I tend to fall down more than most and am old enough that it's starting to hurt so act accordingly (most of the time). Would an XS feel too small? I am just above the tallest recommended height for the XS, in the middle for the S and at the low end for the M. I have been told when getting fitted for bikes that I have long legs for my height which is laughable to me at 5'5" but is probably of use to this conversation.

Thanks for any and all tips.
BSS
[attachment=1501][attachment=1501][attachment=1501]Well 29-27.5 = 1.5” half of that is .75” (3/4”) so the wheel height axel to ground is only 3/4”.
How y’all are you? Can you touch the ground when straddling the cross bar at a complete stop?
Also frame size distance from crank to crossbar very. Look at a guide on “How to Fit your bike” also may help make your decision. Also try someone’s bike that has the smaller wheels if you can. It is very important that the bike fits!! If it doesn’t then you will never be comfortable or happy. It’s great that you have the time to make the decision.
Hope this was helpful...don’t fall victim to peer pressure just because. Example:
I bought a Harley my Honda is still way More reliable faster and cheaper to work on. But I look cooler to my biker friends on the Harley and they know I can’t spank them on the road.

(08-14-2021, 05:12 PM)blueskysummer Wrote:  Hi all -

New here and new to mountain biking with 8-10 rides under my belt all but the last 2 on borrowed bikes. I purchased a medium from Liv with 29" wheels about a week ago. It is beautiful and rides great but when I need to step off quickly or, more accurately my mind wanders and I need to catch myself, I feel like I don't have enough clearance which ends up making me a little nervous the whole ride.

I have a few weeks to continue to try it out so happy to hear tips to gain skill and comfort but also have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so have been looking into options available in this very tight market. I can ask the shop to order a small frame with 29" wheels but it looks like those are out of stock at the manufacturer and I imagine it's unlikely I'd get a bike before the end of the year. I does look like extra-small frames are available but only accommodate 27.5" wheels and I have been looking mostly for 29" at the recommendations of just about every mountain biker I know.

So - questions: How big is the difference between 27.5" and 29" wheels when riding? I will not likely ever be a very aggressive rider as I tend to fall down more than most and am old enough that it's starting to hurt so act accordingly (most of the time). Would an XS feel too small? I am just above the tallest recommended height for the XS, in the middle for the S and at the low end for the M. I have been told when getting fitted for bikes that I have long legs for my height which is laughable to me at 5'5" but is probably of use to this conversation.

Thanks for any and all tips.
BSS
Hello you should be on a small (no larger) . There is more to sizing than ‘longer’ legs.
A 27.5 will make you ‘sit’ closer to the ground than a 29r. There are benefits to both. There are plenty of comparison articles on both. But you are on the wrong size. I am 5’8” and feel the medium frames are almost to much for me. I have both size bikes and a 27.5 is easier to maneuver but the 29r is faster and rolls easier over obstacles.
Test ride both, on a small frame, and do your own research.
A riding buddy once told me, “ if don’t fall your, your not riding” Smile
Well, never thought of a bike being too big! 😉
I was curious of how big must one one be to ride one? Granny's kinda of overweight, wouldn't want to break it. 😉
It's not advisable to ride a bike that's too big for you. Doing so can make it difficult to control the bike, and you may even end up injuring yourself if you're not careful. That said, if you're determined to ride a bike that's too big for you, there are some things you can do to make it easier.

First, make sure the seat is adjusted so that you can reach the pedals comfortably. You may also want to lower the handlebars so that you're not stretched out too much. And finally, take things slowly at first until you get a feel for how the bike handles. If your bike is too big for you, it can be difficult to ride and control. You may have trouble reaching the pedals or handlebars, and the bike may feel unstable. If you're just starting, it's important to choose a bike that's the right size for you.

On the other hand, riding a bike that is too big can simply be uncomfortable and more difficult to handle, but it will not cause any long-term damage or safety concerns. Therefore, if you are unsure about what size bike to purchase, it is better to err on the side of purchasing a larger one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-19-2020, 09:33 PM
Last Post: FeedmeSeymore