Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Which aspects of e-bikes do you think are the most important? Why?
(08-02-2021, 05:55 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
Have you ever considered buying an e-bike or do you already own one? Let's share our opinions about e-bikes and their most important aspects.

• What's the most important aspect of electric bikes and why? Is it the battery life? Is it the max speed?
  • What would you consider the most when choosing an e-bike?
  • What's your e-bike ride destination - a short trip to the grocery store or a multiple day bike tour? Who would be your ride buddy?

Battery Life is very important. I have been interested in electric bicycles since we are older now.
Have you ever considered buying an e-bike or do you already own one? Let's share our opinions about e-bikes and their most important aspects.

• What's the most important aspect of electric bikes and why? Is it the battery life? Is it the max speed?
  • What's your e-bike ride destination - a short trip to the grocery store or a multiple day bike tour? Who would be your ride buddy?
battery life
I'm getting older and wouldn't mind a backup! Battery life would be important.
The better the battery, then the better the e-bike
The battery is most important to me
After seeing more of these bikes, and the extremes in weight. I would like it to be more like a conventional bike like so that if I do end up with a dead battery or malfunction, I still have a bike that I can ride 20 miles on various grades without killing myself. Keep the weight under 40 pounds (35 pounds perferrably; giving you 5 pounds for water/food and gear), and provide proper gearing to accomplish climbs and/or certain terrains. Also, have zero or near zero drag where the drive system does not impede 'free' pedalling when using without power assist.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Having been selling and working on ebikes since 1998 the most important thing I find is the availability of service parts over the long haul. As of now the ebikes we sold in 1998 are not serviceable due to proprietary parts being unavailable. This will be the biggest problem with ebikes that are kept long term.
This is not the same parts issue that standard bicycles have as they are not electric. A bicycle from 1998 can be rebuilt from the ground up with current bicycle parts, however an ebike from 1998 or 2008 cannot be rebuilt from the ground up due to proprietary design. Some parts are simply not available for them.
(01-21-2022, 06:08 AM)jeffg Wrote:  Having been selling and working on ebikes since 1998 the most important thing I find is the availability of service parts over the long haul. As of now the ebikes we sold in 1998 are not serviceable due to proprietary parts being unavailable. This will be the biggest problem with ebikes that are kept long term.
This is not the same parts issue that standard bicycles have as they are not electric. A bicycle from 1998 can be rebuilt from the ground up with current bicycle parts, however an ebike from 1998 or 2008 cannot be rebuilt from the ground up due to proprietary design. Some parts are simply not available for them.

Excellent point Jeff! I'd be curious if things are changing and becoming a bit more standardized. Are all these new ebikes being built by independent companies or are they sourcing from a primary component and frame manufacturer? Seems like there is a new ebike popping up out there on a monthly basis. My concern would certainly be related to battery replacement and how long you'll still be able to find the custom battery pack for your bike; almost makes sense to buy a spare when first purchasing the the bike new. If I was selling them I'd work that into the sales package as an option.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Most important is the speed and battery life. Hopefully a smooth ride
The proper size for you is very important and being 6’6”, that’s saying something. Lol

I don't know where to begin with ebikes - I would definitely attend an ebike event
I worry about the weight of the bike, how hard it would be to transport - so that I could perhaps trail ride it
My destination might be some remote state game areas to bird watch - but again I don't know if they're allowed or how noisy they are
Battery life!
Battery life is definitely a top consideration. Safety and comfort are important as well. I'd be riding around town on errands.
Hi, Im wondering about the trade-off between ease of handling the battery and range?
I am new to ebikes but interested for sure. Older here. Battery life & Comfort for this body!
Battery life at max power outage.
the tires and the battery life

It is very important to have a bike that has long lasting battery life. Would hate to be stranded.
I am excited about the electric power the bike has. I am 69 years old and don't have the strength in my legs that I would like, but I would like to go on bike rides. Having power to help me out when I need it would be awesome.
(08-03-2021, 11:53 AM)CharlieJoe Wrote:  For me, it really is the battery life. I need to go far!

For me, battery power, battery life, tire width, seat comfort, and seat width.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post