Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Which aspects of e-bikes do you think are the most important? Why?
The most important aspect of electric bikes from those 2 choices would the battery life. Speed can't be since there are speed restrictions in so many places that could get you a talking to. Since the electric bike is there to make it easier to get around without sweating so much, then the strength of the machine to carry us that aren't such lightweights anymore should really rate right near the top. That means the durability to carry the weight without twisting the components or straining the motor or batteries. That being said, then I would really look at the engineered capacities and limits of a bike, since it is truly surprising how low some of them are even when they come with a decent wattage motor or are know for being fun little speed machines. Likely due to where most are manufactured, but here in North America, we are a little larger.
Ability to fold and adjust seat/handlebars. Step thru option. Fat enduro tires. Throttle power even in zero assist mode. Head/taillights. As light a possible with highest battery power/range. All of these are useful for range of use and safety for older riders like me. Fold for transport on trips. Adjust for different bodies, ride style and weight pressure. Step thru comfort/safety/short riders. Enduro tires for on/off road use. Throttle power for quick avoidance\safety in auto or animal encounters. Lights for safe riding at night. Less weight for carry. High power for hills. Range to travel longer and farther.
(08-02-2021, 05:55 PM)Nicholas Wrote:  Hello, bike riders!
Have you ever considered buying an e-bike or do you already own one? Let's share our opinions about e-bikes and their most important aspects.

• What's the most important aspect of electric bikes and why? Is it the battery life? Is it the max speed?
  • What would you consider the most when choosing an e-bike?
  • What's your e-bike ride destination - a short trip to the grocery store or a multiple day bike tour? Who would be your ride buddy?
This might sound funny but I would pay much attention to the e-bike's weight.
I've had several. Besides range and battery life I've always ranked ability to carry cargo highly, be it a rear rack and bag or panniers, etc. so I can use it for more than just pleasure riding. Also there are hills where I live so the power of the motor is important as well, not so much for speed, but for going up hills, hauling a load, pulling at trailer.

There are a number of them now that are sort of electric cargo bikes.

I also am older now and have learned of a relatively new frame design that goes by a number of names: crank forward, feet flat, semi-recumbent and more. The crank is somewhat ahead of the seat and the fork extends farther ahead of the bike. They are designed so your feet can reach the ground even while on the seat. They are targeted for baby boomers who can no longer ride their bikes. That was me earlier this year, but I had back surgery and can get on again, however I will (hopefully) continue to get older.

Some of these models also come with a step through frame. They have regular pedal models as well as electric models.

I haven't ridden this style of frame yet, but am thinking of converting to this sort of frame going forward.

Also, at the moment I have a plenty long lasting battery pack, but the weight of the bike is also something to consider if you will possibly run out of battery capacity. A lighter bike being easier to pedal.
Have you ever considered buying an e-bike or do you already own one? Let's share our opinions about e-bikes and their most important aspects.

• What's the most important aspect of electric bikes and why? Is it the battery life? Is it the max speed?
  • What's your e-bike ride destination - a short trip to the grocery store or a multiple day bike tour? Who would be your ride buddy?

The most important for me would be distance or charge time and foldability. If I can charge my bike at school quickly then distance could be cropped. Being able to fold it and take it with me would be the best to avoid theft in our city.

My primary destination is a school that is 15 miles from my home. By mass transit it takes 2 hours to get there. I can bike it in 1 1/2 hours, but it is a tough hilly ride. A car is too expensive.
I would have to say power. How long does the charge last in each bike I'm looking at. Also, how tall the bike is. I'm pretty tall.
I'd have to say for me reliability and durability are the most important... as a disabled person i need to be sure my bike wont break down too far from an ability to get it back home. for the price of E-bikes i need it to last more than 6 months..
Heart 
The battery is the most important.
Would not want to run out of battery power in the middle of nowhere

Range/battery life is most definitely the most important thing - no use having a burst of speed only to find you're carrying a hefty bike back home. So while it's great if the bike has both range AND speed, not running out of juice is the first thing I'm looking for, as long as the bike has a name you can rely on with a manufacturer who knows how to build with the most trustworthy components.
Having had a dream about my Golden Retriever riding an e-bike recently, I only narrowly stop myself from saying that the buddy I prefer to ride with me is Ruby, the four-legged enthusiast to any adventure. In reality, however, my wife and I can't wait to get out there - to the store or to the Sierras - maybe with ruby running behind!
For me, the commuting/errands aspect would be the best reason to own one. Sometimes you don't want to arrive sweaty. Battery life and the quality of components would be the most important features. It nice to have one to go off-road or on trails, but I think city use would be more common for me.
bad knee so this can definitely help on some hills near my house...also the battery life is great if going to the lake about 3 miles
Battery life and range would be my first 2 picks. Following those, I'd choose bike weight and charge time.
As I’m 6’6” & 350, it has to be quality of the frame and enough power to handle my size and a huge battery. Lol
I wonder how hard it is to pedal the bike if I choose to ride manually rather than with the motor. I enjoy the pedaling aspect of riding, so i would primarily use the electric feature at times when I am riding into strong winds.
The most important aspects of e-bikes is the range on a single charge, and speed and handling
I would love the fact that I can travel to work, shopping, or just explore around the city and the battery life to be able to ride long distances.
It's battery life for me. Not crazy about the idea of being out somewhere on a really heavy bike with no power
I typically pay attention to the range and if it still looks like a traditional bike
Range

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post