Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Summary of ebike's important aspects via public input
This was compiled from the responses given from another thread. I thought it might serve a purpose to those who have or are looking to get an ebike in the future.

After nearly 80 entries regarding this topic, I have listed the ebike aspects that others have provided. They are not necessarily in a priority order just listed by the most common to the least common mentioned. Also, since there can be a fair amount of interpretation between layman's terminology and terminology from an engineering/design aspect; I am not trying to analyze or differentiate what one term might mean in relation to another (e.g. power vs. torque; battery life vs. range; etc.). Some answers were very specific (e.g. battery lifetime/longevity), and others were general (e.g. battery life). I may have interpreted a couple if the description was too vague in order to better categorize an aspect. I also have not tried to group together categories that may be interrelated (e.g. quality, durability, reliability, etc.); just listing them pretty much as stated by the respondents. There was a wide range of items brought to light that I had not taken into account, and a couple not mentioned at all that I will list just to provide a more comprehensive list which might be of importance to those who replied and/or those just perusing this thread. Many of the aspects listed are dependent on a rider's individual weight, load carried (other than the rider), road conditions/terrain (assuming a flat surface), weather (primarily wind; again riding on a flat surface), etc.; if everything else was equal (same bike, size, motor, battery, etc.). Pedal assist, and non-assist ebikes were not mentioned too often so you may take some of the aspects as a general aspect for for either type (I think I checked for specific mentions of pedal assist and listed them below as as such). I am sure I have made plenty of mistakes and incorrect conclusions, but I think you will get an idea of what folks are looking for in an ebike whether they have one, plan on getting one, or are just giving some general input.

1) BATTERY LIFE (I assumed the majority meant how long a battery will last on one charge under average use; not the battery lifetime until needing replacement. It was generally not specified in the posts.)

2) RANGE

3) POWER

4) DURABILITY
4) MAX SPEED/SPEED
4) CONVENIENCE (Specifically mentioned were: saving one's body from exhaustion during commuting, long rides, hill climbing, and wind)

5) CLIMBING POWER
5) COMFORT

6) RELIABILITY (Assuming overall. Nothing specific about mechanical or electrical)
6) CONSTRUCTION/DESIGN

7) TORQUE
7) SAFETY
7) PEDAL ASSISTED
7) ENVIRONMENTALLY/ECOLOGICALLY BENEFICIAL

8) BATTERY LONGEVITY/LIFETIME (Total usage before replacement required)
8) WEIGHT
8) TIRES
8) FEATURES (Unspecified as to built-in design features, or accessories to be added onto the bike)

9) BRAKES/BRAKING
9) QUALITY
9) FRAME GEOMETRY
9) MAINTAINABILITY
9) THROTTLE RESPONSE
9) PEDAL ASSIST RATIO
9) HANDLING
9) EFFICIENCY
9) BIKE ANTI-THEFT SECURITY
9) BATTERY ANTI-THEFT SECURITY
9) BATTERY EASE OF REMOVAL
9) BATTERY SIZE (Unspecified as to physical size, or electrical capacity)
9) CHARGING SAFETY
9) MOTOR STRENGTH
9) EASY TO INSTALL (? No reference as to what is being installed; possibly battery installation)

Not mentioned at all, but certainly important:

10) CHARGING TIME
10) CHARGING LOCATIONS/ACCESSIBILITY
10) SOLAR PANEL CHARGING (Built into the bike itself; not a solar charging station)

I apologize for any misinterpretations or omissions. This is just a general non-technical assessment of what folks seem to want in an ebike.

Please note: I have not really ridden an ebike (with or without assist), except to test ride a solar charged (could also be plugged-in for charging) prototype which although poorly designed from a cyclist's point of view (frame, components, handling, braking, weight distribution, etc.) was fairly well designed from an electrical engineer's point of view (charging, electronics, battery, etc.) of which I have experience in both areas.

I don't have much more time left on the site due to work requirements (hospital + Florida + COVID = CRAZY). I will be back (I hope!) when things settle down; last time was about 3 months. Of course last time I managed to build-up 3 pretty good bikes so we'll just wait and see what the future brings.

Everyone please be safe; if not for yourself then for your family, friends, and coworkers. Please consider the burden this has on the medical community and it's ability to not only treat COVID cases, but also any other emergent cases. Our hospital is now limiting our OR to emergencies only and with a depleted staff at that. We all ask for your assistance in doing what you can to help stem the tide. I will say no more!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
This is useful. Thank you!
Thank you for the synopsis @Jesper!

I will post a reply on the running thread to add to the mix
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...