Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Modifying your eBike
Did you purchase a ebike conversion kit to create your ebike, or did you purchase a eBike from an online seller? Or directly from one of the few manufacturers?

I was looking for a donner frame/bicycle when I became interested in acquiring an eBike, my lady surprised me and said, no you have enough projects, buy a complete electric bicycle.

OK have an eBike time to start modifying to reduce some weight to carry it up & down three flights of stairs,

37.7 pounds fully assembled out of the box without the pedals on my scale. The KBO Hurricane now weighs 34.9 pounds with Crankbrothers Candy pedals after installing a 500 gram Thomson Elite seatpost and Fabric saddle...
(07-08-2021, 07:53 PM)JR Namida Wrote:  ...after installing a 500 gram Thomson Elite seatpost ...

Wow, that seems like a heavy seat post; it's over a pound. My old alloy posts are in the range of 250g-350g. I know off-road posts tend to be heavier aside from carbon posts. Now I have to check my Thompson Elite post for weight. It could be due to length as my Thompson post is much longer than regular length posts. What was your saddle weight? You should be able to get very good saddle well under 300g (race bike style).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(07-08-2021, 08:47 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(07-08-2021, 07:53 PM)JR Namida Wrote:  ...after installing a 500 gram Thomson Elite seatpost ...

Wow, that seems like a heavy seat post; it's over a pound. My old alloy posts are in the range of 250g-350g. I know off-road posts tend to be heavier aside from carbon posts. Now I have to check my Thompson Elite post for weight. It could be due to length as my Thompson post is much longer than regular length posts. What was your saddle weight? You should be able to get very good saddle well under 300g (race bike style).

My Thomson Elite alloy seatpost 330 length was 228 grams, original KBO seatposts was 338 grams. Fabric saddle was 272 grams -- 500 grams for both
(07-12-2021, 06:33 PM)JR Namida Wrote:  
(07-08-2021, 08:47 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

My Thomson Elite alloy seatpost 330 length was 228 grams, original KBO seatposts was 338 grams. Fabric saddle was 272 grams -- 500 grams for both

That 500g makes sense now; that's not bad combined for saddle and post.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Update bicycle now is 32.4 pounds. That is 6 pounds heaver than Greg LaMond's prolog 26 pound carbon fiber eBike, or 10 pounds heavier than Ribble's 22 pound city road bike effort. Now if I could find a Carbon Fiber replacement frame, and rare new carbon fiber square taper crank arms to move the weight down into the expensive road bike eBike efforts of the large cycling companies.

When shopping I looked at the Ride1up Roadster V2, Tenways CGO 600, ridescoozy's Torque 1, and Accolmile road eBike, but I decided upon the KBO stealth Hurricane. I listen to several local rumors that battery attached to the downtube were kicked off and stolen at the local grocery shop. That made a stealth eBike high on my purchase list was light weight...

I have ridden my ebike a lot and I enjoy its pedal assist on flat level pavement, I have no need to do 24 mph an hour but to arrive at work and not need a shower is what pedal assist is about...

Possibly Related Threads...