Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Recumbent bike suggestion for seniors
Hi folks. We plan on buying a recumbent bike for our grandpa (birthday present) so that he can get some exercise and enjoy the Florida sun. I have no clue where to start ... a couple of his 'hood buddies' have old recumbent bikes but those models are not around anymore, at least not sold as new models.

Are used recumbent bikes any good and what should I look at when (considering) buying one? Can you suggest any new recumbent model? We don't have a budget yet; depends on what will be the options. Then we'll see if everyone can chip in evenly. Thanks.
Fyi, we got this one: https://www.bikeride.com/mobo-shift/
It's a decent ride for beginners. He has done a few rides already and has nothing to complain about yet.
(08-16-2021, 01:16 PM)Lemon Wrote:  Fyi, we got this one: https://www.bikeride.com/mobo-shift/
It's a decent ride for beginners. He has done a few rides already and has nothing to complain about yet.

Thank you for the update. I was thinking bike and not trike when you first posted. Please provide some feedback after he gets some extended use out of it; e.i. handling, braking, ease of getting on and off, etc.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(07-25-2021, 06:41 AM)Lemon Wrote:  Hi folks. We plan on buying a recumbent bike for our grandpa (birthday present) so that he can get some exercise and enjoy the Florida sun. I have no clue where to start ... a couple of his 'hood buddies' have old recumbent bikes but those models are not around anymore, at least not sold as new models.

Are used recumbent bikes any good and what should I look at when (considering) buying one? Can you suggest any new recumbent model? We don't have a budget yet; depends on what will be the options. Then we'll see if everyone can chip in evenly. Thanks.

TerraTrikes are my favorite by far. Any of their models are good.
This is great
(08-16-2021, 01:16 PM)Lemon Wrote:  Fyi, we got this one: https://www.bikeride.com/mobo-shift/

This would be slow. I would get something with gears, so you can ride it at a wider range of speeds.

The reason I am not thinking seriously about a recumbent bike, is safety. If you get hit by a vehicle, when you are low, you could get seriously injured. If you only ride where there is very little traffic, it should not be too much risk.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-07-2019, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Bombay