Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Creaking/clicking when putting heavy load on pedals
Hi guys! I have a used 2007 Fuji Roubaix and it has been creaking/clicking when I'm putting a heavier load on it (could be high or low gear/any gear,) but as long as I'm pedalling really hard (straining on the pedals) it's pretty pronounced from the middle of the bike by the peddles, straight down under the seat.

I think it's probably the bottom bracket that's dried out, because I had the peddles greased and the seatpost can't be the issue because it happens when I'm standing on the bike as well.

I've already taken the bike in to the shop a few times, so I would love to avoid taking it in again. Plus, if I took it in again it would need to stay for a week or longer to have them diagnose and repair the issue, which would be really sad since I commute long distances every day on it.

Assuming it is the bottom bracket that just needs lubed/replaced, could I get away with continuing to ride on it? Is the BB creaking merely an asthetic annoyance, or are there more potential problems that could happen from continuing to ride on a dry BB?

Plus, it's a used bike so I don't want to be chasing "perfection" for its entire life. I'll do that when I get a brand new bike! Noises are fine for me, but if it's a safety issue I am willing to take it in.

Please give me some opinions as to if I can continue to ride on it safely with no problems! (asssuming it's the BB that's the issue)
It could also be loose, but only marginally so that it produces the squaking.

What kind of bottom bracket is it?

When replaced, try teflon taping the bottom bracket threads for the cup or the sealed cartridge. Wrap with the direction of the threads so that it doesn't undo when you go to screw it in. Works really well to help seal everything and take away the noises.
(06-15-2021, 05:12 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  It could also be loose, but only marginally so that it produces the squaking.

What kind of bottom bracket is it?

When replaced, try teflon taping the bottom bracket threads for the cup or the sealed cartridge. Wrap with the direction of the threads so that it doesn't undo when you go to screw it in. Works really well to help seal everything and take away the noises.

I have no idea what type of BB it is, but the issue wasn't present when I first bought the bike (used).

I also tried removing the rear skewer and lubing/tightening it, but that didn't fix the issue.

I'm going to have to take it in looks like, because I don't want a lose BB to end up cracking the frame.

Possibly Related Threads...