Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Buying recommendations
Bicycle recommendations

Hi all,

I’m wondering what kind of bike would be best for my uses. I would primarily use a bike on sidewalks and paved surfaces/bike paths, but some use on flat or hill trails. I ordered a mountain bike but it’s very heavy and requires a lot of energy to pedal on pavement. Would you recommend hybrid, road, or cruiser?

Thanks!
Look into a hybrid bike or a cyclocross/gravel bike.

GT makes a great hybrid called Transeo. They tend to be rather affordable for big brand bikes too.

You'll need to be running at least a 38c tire for the best splash of 'off-road' performance.

Gravel tires are probably the style you're looking for also.

Tires make a huge difference. Depending on the MTB bike you got, it could be a combination of the frame being steel, and also the tires being very knobby that creates so much resistance. I ride a MTB convert street racer, that uses Continental Contact Speed tires, and I have no problems on pavement.

You might also want to consider biking in your higher gears. Shoot for the 5th or 6th gear for easy riding.
Hi, Elliott
You stated that you want to ride on sidewalks and paved surfaces/bike paths, therefore I would also advise you to check into hybrid bikes.
One suggestion I have for you is this: Muirwoods is primarily a comfortable bike for everyday riding, which in its simple design hides more character than many other more expensive bikes. The most interesting element of the bicycle is the steel frame and fork.
I wouldn't recommend an MTB mainly because it's a lot of money for some rear suspension, hydraulic brakes and lighter frames. Traveling on road doesn't need all that suspension. Hardtail MTBs are a great option, if you want to stay in that off road class.

Given you will be riding on bike paths or roads, I would suggest Treadwell 3 (hybrid bike). It's a great bike that can handle roads and unpaved paths. It can handle some light trails, nothing technical of course!
Essentially you want a simpler gearing system because you won't be climbing and switching gears like on an MTB. Most hybrids lack any suspension. So gravel bikes can also be a good option. They can be used for touring and off road but the riding position isn't upright/comfortable like on a hybrid.
Since you already have a mountain bike, try getting a road bike for your road rides and keep the mountain bike for trail use, but if you plan ojn keeping just one bike around, get a gravel bike so you can enjoy both worlds. a minor caveat to this though is no one bike can be great at everything that's why the general formula for the number of bikes we own is N+1 where N is the number of bikes we currently have
(06-14-2021, 06:37 PM)Elliott Long Wrote:  Bicycle recommendations

Hi all,

I’m wondering what kind of bike would be best for my uses. I would primarily use a bike on sidewalks and paved surfaces/bike paths, but some use on flat or hill trails. I ordered a mountain bike but it’s very heavy and requires a lot of energy to pedal on pavement. Would you recommend hybrid, road, or cruiser?

Thanks!
Look into a hybrid bike or a cyclocross/gravel bike.
GT makes a great hybrid called Transeo. They tend to be rather affordable for big brand bikes too.
You'll need to be running at least a 38c tire for the best splash of 'off-road' performance.
Gravel tires are probably the style you're looking for also(just check some nearby sporting goods store for one). Tires make a huge difference. Depending on the MTB bike you got, it could be a combination of the frame being steel, and also the tires being very knobby that creates so much resistance. I ride a MTB convert street racer, that uses Continental Contact Speed tires, and I have no problems on pavement. You might also want to consider biking in your higher gears. Shoot for the 5th or 6th gear for easy riding.

Pretty much what Reap said, I'd stick to hybrid or gravel bike. Don't think you need a mountain bike for sidewalks and pavement.

Possibly Related Threads...