Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Colnago C64 setup advice
Nice to virtually meet everyone,

In the process of getting my hands on a C64, I have not been keeping up with technology and trying to gather preferences and why.

Any thoughts on the following:

Carbon Wheelset recommendations?
Dura Ace or Ultegra to save a few bucks?
Disc or Rim brakes?
Tubeless or Clinchers?
SpeedPlay or Shimano pedals?
Headset --> Stem --> Handlebar setup?
Cranks?
Other Accessories?

I ride roughly 150-200 miles a week, weekdays are flats and weekends are climbs.
I’m 5’11” with a slightly larger torso and as I’ve gotten older my setup is less aero than it used to be.
I want the my ride to be stiff, but not harsh/uncomfortable.
I'm not obsessed with bike weight, but try to keep it as light as possible without sacrificing quality/durability.

Thank you in advance!
(01-13-2021, 06:02 PM)NewBikeShopper Wrote:  Nice to virtually meet everyone,

In the process of getting my hands on a C64, I have not been keeping up with technology and trying to gather preferences and why.

Any thoughts on the following:

Carbon Wheelset recommendations?
Dura Ace or Ultegra to save a few bucks?
Disc or Rim brakes?
Tubeless or Clinchers?
SpeedPlay or Shimano pedals?
Headset --> Stem --> Handlebar setup?
Cranks?
Other Accessories?

I ride roughly 150-200 miles a week, weekdays are flats and weekends are climbs.
I’m 5’11” with a slightly larger torso and as I’ve gotten older my setup is less aero than it used to be.
I want the my ride to be stiff, but not harsh/uncomfortable.
I'm not obsessed with bike weight, but try to keep it as light as possible without sacrificing quality/durability.

Thank you in advance!

Congrats on getting (about to get) a Colnago. Do you race? I would spend (at this point) the little bit extra to set up your ride up exactly as you would want it to be if you partake in serious competition. If you are just out tearing up the pavement on your own I would save the money by going for the "next step down" regarding outfitting the bike; the frame (less tires) is your main factor affecting performance . You can put that money into areas that to me make the greatest difference in performance: tires; and the greatest difference in comfort: saddles. Plus, you know you'll be consuming tires with your amount of riding so a good idea to buy spares which your cost savings will now easily pay for. I do not use discs for multiple reasons; weight, maintenance, mess, cost, and the fact that I do not require that type of stopping power (MOST casual riders do not need it) after having successfully used caliper brakes for decades under all types of conditions. My riding requires greater durability than carbon rims will provide, but again if competing I have a set a of HED and Mavic carbon wheels. Nice thing is you can buy used carbon wheels fairly "cheap", but I am wary when it comes to purchasing used carbon components that may have undergone undue stress. If buying used you must carefully inspect for damage/wear. Tubs over clincher are a personal preference, but if racing tubs are it. When riding non-competiively I used clincher and tubs. Handlebar/stem is more about sizing for preferred riding position and comfort. I do not find great enough differences in products other than personal preferences. Regarding cranks, for me it is again mostly about fit (aside from weight); I use longer cranks on a climbing bike than I do for other uses. Pedals, personal preference is LOOK for road, Shimano SPD for offroad. I have some Speedplay, but I have never used them; too much crap to deal with; I am getting rid of them. I would give more specifics about components, but my stuff is old (20 years) and would not apply to what I expect you want to fit to the frame. You should try to get an idea as to specific model groupsets/components you are considering and post here for opinions and search for comparative reviews between similar products. Enjoy your new ride!
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
Thank you for all your input!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-14-2021, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Criminal

11-07-2020, 12:37 PM