Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Colnago CLX, unknown year
(05-16-2020, 10:40 AM)JohnV Wrote:  My ACE was considered the entry level carbon frame for the Colnago line in 2012. It has Ultegra components with a Tiagra crank set and Colnago brakes in order to keep the price down. However, for an "entry level" bike, it was still over $3,000 and since it's an endurance frame, it's not UCI certified.

My other Colnago, the 2017 CRS, is also their entry level carbon frame model for that year. But it has a racing geometry, also has Ultegra/105 mixed components (crank and FD) and also goes for over $3,000. It's also not UCI certified. I now see that the CRS is no longer available and has been replaced with the CLX model. Not sure what it costs but being it's a Colnago, I'm sure it's not cheap.

@JohnV

Hi John,

I noticed you had mentioned the CLX in a previous post. Do you have any experience on this bike? I am curious because there is one for sale with a 50cm frame that would fit me. It's $300. I can get it shipped for $80 if I don't do the drive, so still a good deal if you ask me. Its a complete bike. I can't believe it hasn't sold already, but the frame size might have something to do with it; even though I normally ride 52cm, this would be just fine (even if the frame geometry runs on the larger side) except maybe a stem change (which I already have handy). I like the fact that it doesn't have disc brakes; I don't need stopping power, only going power! Owner doesn't know the year; when did they start making them; 2010 or earlier? I would assume newer models (if still made) have disc brakes.

If anyone else knows anything about this bike please enlighten me.

Thanks!

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(10-24-2020, 06:30 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(05-16-2020, 10:40 AM)JohnV Wrote:  My ACE was considered the entry level carbon frame for the Colnago line in 2012. It has Ultegra components with a Tiagra crank set and Colnago brakes in order to keep the price down. However, for an "entry level" bike, it was still over $3,000 and since it's an endurance frame, it's not UCI certified.

My other Colnago, the 2017 CRS, is also their entry level carbon frame model for that year. But it has a racing geometry, also has Ultegra/105 mixed components (crank and FD) and also goes for over $3,000. It's also not UCI certified. I now see that the CRS is no longer available and has been replaced with the CLX model. Not sure what it costs but being it's a Colnago, I'm sure it's not cheap.

@JohnV

Hi John,

I noticed you had mentioned the CLX in a previous post. Do you have any experience on this bike? I am curious because there is one for sale with a 50cm frame that would fit me. It's $300. I can get it shipped for $80 if I don't do the drive, so still a good deal if you ask me. Its a complete bike. I can't believe it hasn't sold already, but the frame size might have something to do with it; even though I normally ride 52cm, this would be just fine (even if the frame geometry runs on the larger side) except maybe a stem change (which I already have handy). I like the fact that it doesn't have disc brakes; I don't need stopping power, only going power! Owner doesn't know the year; when did they start making them; 2010 or earlier? I would assume newer models (if still made) have disc brakes.

If anyone else knows anything about this bike please enlighten me.

Thanks!

The CLX was Colnago’s lower end, UCI compliant model. Even being a lower end bike, it still sold for over $3,000. If it’s the bike in the photo, it would have to be earlier than a 2014 model because that’s when, AFAIK, Colnago stopped making carbon framed bikes with external cable routing. Somewhere around 2010 might be a good guess as to the year. At any rate, any Colnago selling for $380.00 is a good deal, unless the frame is damaged.

If you want to know the exact year, do an internet search for 20xx Colnago CLX. You should get results with a bunch of images for that year. Work backwards until you can match the color scheme, since it changes with every new model.

John
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(10-24-2020, 08:36 AM)JohnV Wrote:  The CLX was Colnago’s lower end, UCI compliant model. Even being a lower end bike, it still sold for over $3,000. If it’s the bike in the photo, it would have to be earlier than a 2014 model because that’s when, AFAIK, Colnago stopped making carbon framed bikes with external cable routing. Somewhere around 2010 might be a good guess as to the year. At any rate, any Colnago selling for $380.00 is a good deal, unless the frame is damaged.

If you want to know the exact year, do an internet search for 20xx Colnago CLX. You should get results with a bunch of images for that year. Work backwards until you can match the color scheme, since it changes with every new model.

John

Thanks John,
I had previously tried to search a few catalogs scans, but without having any idea as to decade (didn't realize they've been around so long!) I wasn't having much luck, plus they were using caliper brakes until very recently (discs 2018ish). I determined it to be a 2008. I need to do a direct inspection (couple hours drive) as the seller is not a cyclist and even then I don't trust the judgement regarding that type of frame; good thing about it being small is that it would not have had a heavy rider so less overall frame stress. That year's model was, if not purchased as a frame only, fitted with Shimano Dura-Ace, Ultegra, or Camp. Centaur groups. I'm not familiar with those groups of that era, and the only seller photo did not help any. Unfortunately, it's another of those crazy online listings where the seller doesn't reply to potential buyers, you don't know if it's still for sale, etc. Finally a reply after 5 days! Seller is out of the country and at a house without internet. No info given as an estimate for return. Can't help with bike info. That was as related by someone who thought I threatened them by merely asking for a reply as to the status of the item, or to please (yes, I said please!) take down the ad if the item was sold in order to avoid myself or others from continuing to impose with queries regarding the bike. Quite threatening I know, but now I feel that there may be some animosity on the part of the seller's friend which may affect the situation for no good reason. From what I can tell, this bike should be more than suitable for my needs and will still make me feel like I'm still riding vintage given that this frame is close to 15 years old. Hopefully, I will see this before week's end and be able to make a decision on it.
Take care,
Jesper

(10-27-2020, 04:26 PM)Jesper Wrote:  Thanks John,
I had previously tried to search a few catalogs scans, but without having any idea as to decade (didn't realize they've been around so long!) I wasn't having much luck, plus they were using caliper brakes until very recently (discs 2018ish). I determined it to be a 2008. I need to do a direct inspection (couple hours drive) as the seller is not a cyclist and even then I don't trust the judgement regarding that type of frame; good thing about it being small is that it would not have had a heavy rider so less overall frame stress. That year's model was, if not purchased as a frame only, fitted with Shimano Dura-Ace, Ultegra, or Camp. Centaur groups. I'm not familiar with those groups of that era, and the only seller photo did not help any. Unfortunately, it's another of those crazy online listings where the seller doesn't reply to potential buyers, you don't know if it's still for sale, etc. Finally a reply after 5 days! Seller is out of the country and at a house without internet. No info given as an estimate for return. Can't help with bike info. That was as related by someone who thought I threatened them by merely asking for a reply as to the status of the item, or to please (yes, I said please!) take down the ad if the item was sold in order to avoid myself or others from continuing to impose with queries regarding the bike. Quite threatening I know, but now I feel that there may be some animosity on the part of the seller's friend which may affect the situation for no good reason. From what I can tell, this bike should be more than suitable for my needs and will still make me feel like I'm still riding vintage given that this frame is close to 15 years old. Hopefully, I will see this before week's end and be able to make a decision on it.

It sure looks like 2008 Colnago CLX yes, with some obvious upgrades/adjustments - saddle, stem, rims (?). Have seen this paint scheme in real life, 2007 was similar. I do not recognize the crankset even though it has a distinctive pattern.
Autobahn
(11-01-2020, 05:40 PM)G_M Wrote:  It sure looks like 2008 Colnago CLX yes, with some obvious upgrades/adjustments - saddle, stem, rims (?). Have seen this paint scheme in real life, 2007 was similar. I do not recognize the crankset even though it has a distinctive pattern.

I thought I had communicated with someone "close" to the seller, but that was related to a different situation and not about selling/buying. I still have not heard from the seller after multiple attempts via various means. The bike remains listed after nearly 4 weeks. I assume it's sold or that something tragic has befallen the seller; I personally hope that neither is the case. I've sent a message out about every couple of days asking if it's still for sale hoping I'll at least get back a "leave me alone!" reply.
Take care,
Jesper

(11-01-2020, 05:40 PM)G_M Wrote:  It sure looks like 2008 Colnago CLX yes, with some obvious upgrades/adjustments - saddle, stem, rims (?). Have seen this paint scheme in real life, 2007 was similar. I do not recognize the crankset even though it has a distinctive pattern.

The largest chainring has to be one from SRAM X-Glide series.
"Carbon is faster"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-14-2021, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Criminal

10-23-2020, 04:28 AM
Last Post: Jesper

11-10-2012, 10:37 AM