Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Food delivery guy in need for advice about buying a new bike.
Hi all.

I work as a food delivery guy in Copenhagen and I am about to buy a new bike. I have already been through 2 really cheap, old, second hand road bikes (one Bugatti and one MBK, about 120-150€ each) in only a few months. Now I am upping my budget a bit to about 500-700€, but having no real experience in the field or any knowledge of manufacturers. I was wondering if you could help me pick a bike or just give me some tips/advice.

My choices currently are these 5:

Trek used ≈ 510 €

Felt used ≈ 640 €

Colnago used ≈ 335 €

Pure Cycles new ≈ 670 € (including abus chain and lights, as well as 2 year warranty and bimonthly service)

Bernard Hinault used ≈ 520 €

I will be able to test before buying.

Do any of you guys have experience with these models/brands and do you think any of the them will hold up if used for 200-300 km a week?
Hello Copenhagen.
It's a beautiful city and so great for cyclists - lucky you! Smile Just a short personal comment. From these four remaining bikes, I would choose Felt for the purpose. Firstly, I respect Felt as a bicycle brand. It looks like a fast, comfortable performance bike with the Ultegra groupset, which is only behind Dura-Ace in Shimano's road hierarchy. 3x10 can become tricky in the long-term and you might experience issues with shifting, but that's normal and some adjustments will deal with it. Pay attention to the pedals though. I see that Colnago is sold by the same profile. Test out both if you can.

Hinault vintage roadie looks cool. However, have you had any experience with fiction shifters (down tube)?

Just remember that every bike requires maintenance if used for 200-300km a week Smile
Autobahn
Hej Freneios! Did you already see and test any of these cykler?
I think G_M covered it nicely with the Felt recommenation. The Pure would probably be a good new bike option given a good previous history for quality/reliability. I am not familiar with it, but I would not buy that bike at that price with Shimano "Claris" groupset; or I would haggle on price to include/afford a better groupset. I am not sure how good the new "Claris" is, but I have not been impressed with previous offerings in that group. I would immediately go for the Colnago or Hinault, but not using them for your intended purpose.
I cannot comment on overall pricing since there does not seem to standard comparison between some European and US pricing. The Colnago and Hinault would probably go at 1.25 or more times the asking price in my area in the States; I did not see the Trek, but probably being more common to the US tend to be a better deal cost wise around here. I think the Pure had 28mm tires; probably a decent tire size for your purposes aside from what bike you choose.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS