Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

No more podium girls
The podium girl era is over Sad

https://www.velonews.com/events/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-does-away-with-podium-girls/
"Carbon is faster"
(08-19-2020, 05:37 PM)Nikko Wrote:  The podium girl era is over Sad

https://www.velonews.com/events/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-does-away-with-podium-girls/

They still have one; and a "podium guy". I'm waiting for "podium mimes"!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
was this worth a separate thread haha? but have to say that I will miss the podium girl moment
(08-21-2020, 05:27 AM)JoJoJo Wrote:  was this worth a separate thread haha? but have to say that I will miss the podium girl moment

Of course it's worth it! Tongue

photo of Mikhel Raim from Tour de Beauce 2016
"Carbon is faster"
(08-23-2020, 06:44 PM)Nikko Wrote:  
(08-21-2020, 05:27 AM)JoJoJo Wrote:  was this worth a separate thread haha? but have to say that I will miss the podium girl moment

Of course it's worth it! Tongue

photo of Mikhel Raim from Tour de Beauce 2016

Great shot! Thanks Nikko, I had not seen that before. My only problem is this: why take away someone's "job" if they are willing to do it. I'm not trying to be politically correct, I'd be irritated if I lost a lucrative job requiring very little effort which serves as a stepping stone for future work. If you feel you are being exploited then leave! I never heard complaints from those women, but only from those who would not be fit for such work. I certainly do not condone abuse or harassment; I have left 2 jobs myself when facing wrong doing regarding my work; but still, I knew what I signed up for and possible problems related to them. Now it would appear that we will have 2 individuals just standing there as a backdrop. If you don't need the "girls" then you really don't need anyone there at all. Personally, if I was on the podium, I wouldn't want anyone there except family and friends; not complete strangers who may not give a darn about what I do or how I got there, but are just being paid to be seen as a result of my efforts. Where were the girls when I crashed, etc.? I would leave it to the individual rider as to who stands with him/her on the podium: no one, family/friends only, glamour girls and/or guys, etc. I'd rather have my Mom and girlfriend if I had a choice of 2 two women to stand by me (who have been "standing by" me the whole time); kisses accepted gratefully!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS