Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need help identifying vintage Bianchi
    Hey guys! New guy here Smile

I need help identifying one of my vintage bikes. I’ve been using it for several years but now that I want to sell it, it just crossed my mind that I don’t actually know the type.

It’s a vintage 70s or 80s Bianchi, has Modolo Flash brakes, has been repainted, and somehow I can’t find its serial number (even after an hour of looking for it).

I’ll attach a few pictures.. please help me identify this bike! Thanks so much in advance!! Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-14-2020, 11:59 AM)jcarlitosix Wrote:  Hey guys! New guy here Smile

I need help identifying one of my vintage bikes. I’ve been using it for several years but now that I want to sell it, it just crossed my mind that I don’t actually know the type.

It’s a vintage 70s or 80s Bianchi, has Modolo Flash brakes, has been repainted, and somehow I can’t find its serial number (even after an hour of looking for it).

I’ll attach a few pictures.. please help me identify this bike! Thanks so much in advance!! Smile

Welcome jcarlitosix,

We'll need some photos clearly showing details: seat cluster and head tube lugs, seat stay caps, underside of bottom bracket shell, front and rear dropouts, components, braze-one, etc. Assuming that you are not the original owner and purchased already repainted; did you purchase from the original owner who had it painted? Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for bikes to have in incorrect decals, both for the model/year of the bike, and or brand itself. If you got it from the original owner who had it painted and was honest about it being a Bianchi then that helps; just need to figure out if the decals are correct for the frame/year. Are there any pantographs/engravings, etc. on the frame? What is the diameter of the seat post? What is the width of the bottom bracket shell (68mm, 70mm, other)? What are the thread type for the bottom bracket (usually shown on the BB cups/caps)? I cannot verify that it is a Bianchi. If it is I believe it may be a Japanese ( mid 80s and later) or Taiwan made frame since the higher end Italian frames generally had embellishments on the seat stay caps and/or fork crowns. As far as the components go, have you changed any, or been told previously that any had been changed (I am assuming the bar and stem are not original)? How many rear gears (7 or more would be indicative of 90s or later if original gearing)? Any info as far as parts make model may help. Some parts have date codes, but that only helps if they are original or if replaced with same model and year parts. Modolo "Flash" brakes would be entry level equipment introduced about '79/'80 and were made for about 10 years; I don't believe Modolo had date codes. I'll have to check to see if mine have any, though it may depend if they are early or later models. I could not see any seat tube bottle mount bosses; this tends to indicate mid 80s or earlier, but it may also be indicative of a specific frame's features for a given model for later years. It is definitely not a high end race frame and no later than mid 90s given the style of fork crown unless they were still making some models with earlier style forks. If you try searching Bianchi catalogs online you may be able to match it up to something. You should be able to date the decal style to a year or range of years, but again those decals do not mean that the frame is a Bianchi also.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-24-2022, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Elvis

07-10-2021, 03:11 AM