Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1980 Schwinn Suburban
    (PS: It was 4 years ago today that my "tomboy" life was taken from me and now I have NO life!!!)

Hello all,

I'm in desperate need of some info in order to sell my beloved bike. When I purchased it off eBay around 2010, I was only given info that it was a 27" ladies Schwinn. From June 16, 2015 to Labor Day 2015, I was able to put just over 500 miles on it riding around my little town. On June 22, 2016, I slipped and fell and seriously hurt my back which ended my bike riding and ice skating days. Basically, growing up a "tomboy" and now not able to do my own housework is so depressing.

I had purchased a Trek Verve 3 four days before my back injury thinking I would be able to ride further, faster, and easier up hills, but that was not in my future so I was able to sell it on Craigslist.

The info I was able to find on the bike was as follows but I don't know what it means:
Dia Compe, Positron, Schwinn Approved, Pre select Positron cc, 0310, 9-47, Shimano 1.

Thru hours of researching, I was able to find this site and the serial number AR525971, which told me it was made in January of 1980 and I believe it also said "mass produced".

I need to find out the frame material, brake type, frame size, handlebar type, suspension, and wheel size. Any information would be so much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter,

"one of a Kyne"
You d not need to be to specific about your bike to get ready for sale. The important thing is to take good clear close up pics of overall condition. Set your price. I would value it in the us market @ roughly $60 to $100 for a quick sale. Most people interested in this type of bicycle to purchase already have more knowledge about it than the average Joe. So put it up for a hundo with great pics and go from there.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hello Painkiller,

Thank you for your quick response. I'm guessing you don't think the pic of my bike with the helmet on it is a good enough pic? $60 to $100 ewwww, why so low? It's a package deal, not just the bike. People email me asking questions about the frame size, gears, etc. and I have NO clue what to tell them so I can sell this bike and it's accessories. I was told to start higher than what I would accept and hopefully someone would buy the whole lot. I have a small apartment and could use the room plus I don't want several people coming in to maybe purchase just one item. I have seen the Kenetic trainer itself selling for $210 and up!

My vehicle is a 1999 Toyota Corolla that I bought brand new off the lot and it is ready to hit 95,000 miles soon so I do need some extra $$$ for car repairs. Purchasing a new vehicle at 72 and on Social Security would be difficult.

Respectfully,
"one of a Kyne"
I am sorry, but do not know what you mean by "the whole lot" as I have not seen your ad. I was purely speaking of the bike alone. You mentioned a trainer, the bicycle you have is not a great candidate for the trainer, you must have used that with a different bicycle possibly. for the what size frame is it question..measure from the center of the crank to the top of seat tube in inches, that would be your frame size. you have what appears to be a 10spd. you had mentioned 27in wheels/tire size. not much else to it, just better pics. One pic is fine but if you can post more that would be better to show condition and as a general rule always at least post the drive side of bicycle. and sure start the price high if you want and see what happens, I do that all the time when i do not care to sell it at all or am not in a hurry. If I just want to move it fast, I price to sell. I do not know where you are selling the bike but will use Craigslist for an example. If I want to price a bike @ $120. I will go to craigslist in my area and do a search of bicycles narrowed to $120. Then all I see are bikes priced @ $120 or less. Then I can see very fast what is on the market in real time in my area in my asking price range. This gives me something to compare, and adjust my price accordingly.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(06-23-2020, 11:32 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  I am sorry, but do not know what you mean by "the whole lot" as I have not seen your ad. I was purely speaking of the bike alone. You mentioned a trainer, the bicycle you have is not a great candidate for the trainer, you must have used that with a different bicycle possibly. for the what size frame is it question..measure from the center of the crank to the top of seat tube in inches, that would be your frame size. you have what appears to be a 10spd. you had mentioned 27in wheels/tire size. not much else to it, just better pics. One pic is fine but if you can post more that would be better to show condition and as a general rule always at least post the drive side of bicycle. and sure start the price high if you want and see what happens, I do that all the time when i do not care to sell it at all or am not in a hurry. If I just want to move it fast, I price to sell. I do not know where you are selling the bike but will use Craigslist for an example. If I want to price a bike @ $120. I will go to craigslist in my area and do a search of bicycles narrowed to $120. Then all I see are bikes priced @ $120 or less. Then I can see very fast what is on the market in real time in my area in my asking price range. This gives me something to compare, and adjust my price accordingly.

Sorry about the misunderstanding/misleading word choice of "the whole lot" because initially I had used the wording "Package Deal". The bike, trainer, bike pump, crossbar, 3 bike rack, and helmet.

No, the bike I am selling WAS the one I used in the trainer. I don't see below where I can attach a pic of it in the trainer but I believe in the ad the pic is there. The gentleman at the bike shop actually had to come to my apartment and put my bike in the trainer as I tried for hours and could not get it right.

I did put it on Craigslist with several pics of all the added "accessories" and the bike. If you have time, check out my ad and pics on Craigslist.

Thanks for the info regarding the frame size.

"one of a Kyne"
Painkiller,

I looked at my Craigslist and copied the link, see below and hope it works. It does show my bike in the trainer in one of the pics.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/7143512637?action=display&go=display
(06-24-2020, 01:42 PM)one of a Kyne Wrote:  Painkiller,

I looked at my Craigslist and copied the link, see below and hope it works. It does show my bike in the trainer in one of the pics.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/7143512637?action=display&go=display
bad link, you linked your ad edit page not the ad its self
(06-22-2020, 12:25 PM)one of a Kyne Wrote:  (PS: It was 4 years ago today that my "tomboy" life was taken from me and now I have NO life!!!
"one of a Kyne"

Hello "Kyne"

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

I am providing to you the actual specifications from a 1980 Schwinn catalogue. Your bike may have features that are slightly different due to changes manufacturers make throughout a model year, and modifications (accessories, parts, etc. added/removed by yourself or previous owner[s]) done to it. If you have any questions about what they mean, just ask.

Model # and frame size:
687-9 17" ladies'
690-9 20" ladies'
692-9 22" ladies'

Frame: Schwinn Electro-forged of 16 gauge 1010 carbon steel with built-in kickstand housing and welded-on cable lugs.
Fork: Tubular with eyelets.
Handlebar: Schwinn touring handlebars- chrome plated with Schwinn cushioned grips.
Stem: Schwinn chrome plated forged steel.
Saddle: Schwinn-Approved mattress with spring cushioning.
Crankset: Schwinn forged steel one piece crank with FF front freewheeling system 5-speed 46T chainwheel with inside/outside chain guard 10-speed: 39 and 52 tooth chainwheels.
Freewheel: Schwinn-Approved FF system 5-speed 14-17-21-26-32 tooth cogs, 10-speed 14-17-20-24-28 tooth cogs.
Chain: Uniglide 3/32 x 1/2 inch.
Hubs: Schwinn-Approved alloy small flange, front and rear.
Rear Dearilleur: Positron II positvie indexing.
Front Derailleur: 10-speed Schwinn-Approved GT-290. 5-speed none.
Shifting Lever: Positron II stem mounted.
Brakes: Schwinn-Approved alloy side pull.
Rims: Schwinn tubular chrome plated 27 x 1 1/4 inch.
Tires: Schwinn Puff gumwall 27 x 1 1/4 inch.
Pedals: Schwinn-Approved Union bow type rubber pad
Color: Sky Blue, Spicy Chestnut.
Accessories: Built-in Kickstand.
Weight: 39 pounds with kickstand.
Specifications subject to change without notice.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-23-2020, 08:58 PM)one of a Kyne Wrote:  $60 to $100 ewwww, why so low?
We don't know your height, but the 17" and 20" frame sizes would be most common.
Regarding price, Painkiller is correct for that bike, which although a vintage quality mass produced bike that sold new for about $180-$200, is fairly common to find at prices at or below $100. Even if in near mint condition, it would have trouble selling much over $150-$175. Used helmets, even expensive ones go for about $10-20, $30 max.
Added accessories (lights, racks, etc.) are a plus in general if quality items, but are easily found used in many bike shops, thrift stores, etc; maybe adding $10-$30 value. If the overall condition is very good and fully functional with good rideable tires on it and including the accessories and helmet (has to fit perspective buyer/wearer or generally will provide no added value) I would go about $125-$150, with the $150 being the max asking price for the whole deal and expect to get about $100-$125 sold. Like Painkiller alluded, the market in your area and a specific buyer's interest is what really drives the price. There is probably someone out there willing to pay $200 just on sentimentality alone, but that's a "rare bird" and may not exist in your area.
As far as the trainer goes, l am not familiar with it, but they generally sell for $30-$50 give or take depending on design/model. If it is a high end trainer you can double that estimated value. Most folks buying that type of bike are not looking for a trainer so I would advertise it separately hopefully netting you a better selling price.
With all that being said, I have only seen your photo posted here. Painkiller is correct about providing multiple photos showing the full drive side of the bike, details (e.g. tire, saddle, etc.), and accessories. internal view of the helmet showing padding condition and size label (another item I might be inclined to sell separately from the bike).
As Painkiller stated, quick sales happen at lower asking prices. If you have the luxury of waiting out a month or 2, you may be rewarded with what you were trying to get, even then someone might give what you want tomorrow. If I see something I'm interested in (but not "dying" for) on Craigslist (or similar site), I will check to see how long it has been listed and wait another week or 2 until making "my offer", assuming that at that point the seller would rather get something as opposed to nothing, or knowing their asking price was far too high and now they are going to have to face reality if they want to sell it at at reasonable, or at that point, a heavily discounted price. It's a crazy game between all parties involved; probably why I'm not a seller even though I've had my own retail business store (that's a different beast altogether!).

Good Luck!
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
dear Linda.
i hope this helps with measuring the frame size:

(07-03-2020, 09:22 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  dear Linda.
i hope this helps with measuring the frame size:

Papa Dom,

Oh wow, that is REALLY what I needed to measure the frame Smile Thank you soooooooooo much!!!

Linda Kyne
"one of a Kyne"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Last Post: nfmisso