Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Should I replace my wheel?
Hey I have a mountain bike, whose bearings seem to be damaged because the back wheels moves left to the right, what I don't know what to do is whether to get a replacement wheel with the bearings already installed, or buy new bearings to install on the wheel. What actually makes the wheel move, is it the bearing balls are out of placed. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Your suggestion would be truly appreciated.
Asad

Hi Asad,
If your bearings are loose it means your cone and locknut adjustment on your hub is loose. I would recommend re-greasing the bearings and then adjusting your hub properly. <a href="http://bikeride.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/">Watch this video</a> for a step-by-step explanation of hub overhauls.

Hey, I'm gonna adjust my bike hub tomorrow, I was wondering can I use an alternative tool, instead of cone wrenches.

I don't know of any alternative to cone wrenches, as they are the only tool I know of that is flat enough to fit in the narrow flats.

I took the wheel out from the bike, and have realized that the axle seems to be in 2 pieces. I fear that the axle has been broken, or have I got an axle that comes in 2 parts? What do you think? It seems to be chipped too, so how much will it cost to get a new axle?

Hi Asad,
Yes, it sounds like your axle is broken. Take both pieces down to your local shop for a replacement, it shouldn't be any more that $10-12.

Possibly Related Threads...