New: Take part in the April 2020 Giveaway for a brand new GIORDANO™ bicycle

Welcome guest! Register or sign in to participate in the cycling discussions.

Replace bolt-on rear wheel with quick-release?
Hi,

Great website!
My bike uses 26 x 1.5 bolt-on rear wheel, freewheel-type. I have been upgrading various components on this bike this year, and now I want to replace the cheap single-wall rear wheel with a better double-wall wheel. In looking at various bike parts dealers, I can only find a double-wall freewheel rim in a quick-release.

Can I use the quick-release instead of a bolt-on, or does the frame have to be designed a certain way to accommodate a QR rim?

Thanks in advance.
rpesq
QR will work fine - the thing you have to match is the Over Locknut Dimension (O.L.D.)

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
Nigel
(08-26-2013, 03:55 PM)rpesq Wrote:  In looking at various bike parts dealers, I can only find a double-wall freewheel rim in a quick-release.
You can purchase hand made, bolted rear wheels from MrRabbit. Contact him, don't just look at his items. He can also upgrade you to a cassette. (Wider spaced bearing races & he provides rebuild parts) I would guess you would pay about $65ish delivered for entry level 32 spoke double wall wheel, about $8 more with freehub wheel. I would also suggest 36 spokes for a rear wheel.
I spent about $40 more & got special spacing, a 36 spoke loose ball freehub (cassette, not freewheel) a wider double wall rim, extra heavy duty 13 gauge spokes. It has over 1500 miles on it with a 315+ lb load & is still remarkably true. The price included a spare freehub, axle, axle nuts, spokes, nipples, ball bearings & bearing cones.
He's a good guy too.
Hi guys,
Thanks for both replies, very helpful.

Possibly Related Threads...