Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

I am looking to buy a bike but I know nothing, pls help.
Hello, I am going to college next year and was thinking about commuting to school using a bike. Let's ignore that the whole COVID-19 pandemic is happening for this as ideally, I would still need a bike in the future. I have spent some time researching bikes but have gotten nowhere. However, I did stumble across BikeDirect and found this little number: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/dutch-express-lifestyle-hybrid-bikes.htm , men's black 16M more specifically, and I was wondering if you guys can give with ur judgment. My budget is super fixed as I am poor (around $200, definitely under $300). I am a male, around 5'4'' maybe taller, I have not checked. Advice is greatly appreciated and I was wondering if it was possible to attach fenders to the wheels as I do not want to be assaulted from the behind by rainwater. So yeah, I was wondering if you guys can review this bike for me, maybe teach me the ropes about all the parts and what not! I'm sure I will have more questions but rn I'm brain dead xd. If you guys have any other bike recommendations please share! I only thing I would prefer is a flat bar bike!
Hello.
If your budget is super fixed, why not go with a fixed bike? Big Grin pun

Where do you live actually?
Depending on the city and its terrain ... I'm suggesting fixie which fits the "going to college", also less maintenance.
You can get a nice new fixie for $200-$300, let's say 6KU brand for instance.
I can list some other bike brands and specific models.
(03-29-2020, 09:08 PM)Anthony Lu Wrote:  Advice is greatly appreciated and I was wondering if it was possible to attach fenders to the wheels as I do not want to be assaulted from the behind by rainwater.

yes, it has fender mounts
(03-29-2020, 09:08 PM)Anthony Lu Wrote:  Hello, I am going to college next year and was thinking about commuting to school using a bike. Let's ignore that the whole COVID-19 pandemic is happening for this as ideally, I would still need a bike in the future. I have spent some time researching bikes but have gotten nowhere. However, I did stumble across BikeDirect and found this little number: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/dutch-express-lifestyle-hybrid-bikes.htm , men's black 16M more specifically, and I was wondering if you guys can give with ur judgment. My budget is super fixed as I am poor (around $200, definitely under $300). I am a male, around 5'4'' maybe taller, I have not checked. Advice is greatly appreciated and I was wondering if it was possible to attach fenders to the wheels as I do not want to be assaulted from the behind by rainwater. So yeah, I was wondering if you guys can review this bike for me, maybe teach me the ropes about all the parts and what not! I'm sure I will have more questions but rn I'm brain dead xd. If you guys have any other bike recommendations please share! I only thing I would prefer is a flat bar bike!
Beware of companies that sell cheap bikes because you'll get what you paid for, and this includes the big box stores like Walmart. I bought a Schwinn 3rd Avenue hybrid for $199 (not much less than the bike you are talking about). Out of the box the tires and tubes were absolute junk and would not hold any pressure. I took the tubes out and they were far too small for the tires. Pumping them up split them, and they were made of a granular material that wouldn't hold a patch. The tires looked like they were hairy. I had to go to the bike shop to buy new tires and tubes. So now I had laid out about $260 for the bike. Then it needed fenders, lights and other things.

While out on a ride, several miles from home, the front derailleur came loose. The clamp bolt was made of a soft material that chewed off when I tried to tighten it. I had to ride home with the chain rubbing on the cage , worrying me to death. Then a trip to a hardware store for a decent bolt.

This bike came with a lot of good reviews on Amazon, but it turned out they were shills. So don't trust reviews if they're all good and hardly any bad ones. But I knew that I wouldn't be getting much for the money, and I was prepared to have to do some work on it, so I'm not complaining. I can do mechanical work but if you bought a new bike and you have to take it to a bike shop to make it right, it may not be worth it.

I read the specs on those bikes you're talking about. They sound good, but so did the specs on the Schwinn I bought. The ad also says "compare to $499 Trek." If you know what you're looking at, you'd see they don't compare on a par with Trek.

One more thing: I checked the warranty on my Schwinn, and it's void unless a bike shop assembles the bike. I assembled mine, myself. Had a bike shop assembled mine, and I later needed warranty work, the bike shop isn't going to honor the warranty, and shipping the bike back to the dealer could be costly. If you insist on a new, cheap bike, I'd go with Walmart because you have ninety days to take stuff back.

Have you considered a better quality used bike? Here in Florida there are lots of places that have a lot of bikes to choose from, ranging from about $50.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.