Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike recommendation for short mom
Big Grin 
I'm looking for a bike recommendation that will work for a 5'1" person and a rear child seat that can handle city streets. Currently, we're using a Dahon with an iBert, haha, which functions but isn't very comfortable and won't work much longer.
Hello.
Dahon + ibert combo sounds adorable! The height will not be an issue - we just have to find S or XS sized frame for a city or hybrid bike. Do you have a specific budget in mind and are you located in US?
Autobahn
(03-25-2020, 11:54 AM)G_M Wrote:  Hello.
Dahon + ibert combo sounds adorable! The height will not be an issue - we just have to find S or XS sized frame for a city or hybrid bike. Do you have a specific budget in mind and are you located in US?

Haha, it is v cute. I love my Dahon and will keep it, but I think a hybrid or something will be better for longer rides and lugging around the kid. I'm hoping to spend under $500. Do you think that's possible?
(03-25-2020, 02:28 PM)Katalyst500 Wrote:  I'm hoping to spend under $500. Do you think that's possible?

< $500 is certainly possible. Firstly, I would not combine rear child seat with suspension fork. From personal experience. I hope that your city streets are not too bumpy Wink

I will look at some more options later tonight or tomorrow, but here's an example already: Trek Verve 1. It has comfortable lowframe (hop on and hop off), rack mounts, rigid steel fork, strong disc brakes, and 700x45c wide tires. S or XS size fits nicely.
Autobahn
That's great news, and thanks for the advice and link!
The streets are pretty bumpy, but we ride slow.

(03-25-2020, 07:57 PM)G_M Wrote:  
(03-25-2020, 02:28 PM)Katalyst500 Wrote:  I'm hoping to spend under $500. Do you think that's possible?

< $500 is certainly possible. Firstly, I would not combine rear child seat with suspension fork. From personal experience. I hope that your city streets are not too bumpy Wink

I will look at some more options later tonight or tomorrow, but here's an example already: Trek Verve 1. It has comfortable lowframe (hop on and hop off), rack mounts, rigid steel fork, strong disc brakes, and 700x45c wide tires. S or XS size fits nicely.
I will also vouch for Trek, their FX1 and FX2 models in particular are well received and can hit the budget (FX2 - ig you get a lucky deal). YOu might be able to find those exact models in season 2019 version, for clearance prices. Take a look at The Bike lane shop.
(03-26-2020, 09:07 AM)Katalyst500 Wrote:  That's great news, and thanks for the advice and link!
The streets are pretty bumpy, but we ride slow.

Would you prefer a lower frame with an easy entry?

Sixthreezero is a nice bike brand from Cali: https://www.sixthreezero.com/
When you look at the top menu bar, they have a LIFESTYLE section. But I would filter HYBRID bikes (https://www.sixthreezero.com/collections/hybrid-bikes) and then take a closer look at Reach Your Destination bike (rigid fork, rear rack, 7speed). Let me know what you think about that one.
Autobahn

Possibly Related Threads...