Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Looking for Shifter recommendation
I am looking to replace my Shimano 200GS 7speed rapidfire shifter with simple push push levers. Been told too many people got confused so now we have push pull levers with gear indicators. How many of you look down to see what gear you are in. Don't you know when it feels good. Sorry minor rant.

The system that can replace my current 7 speed shifter seems to be the Shimano Alivo STX MC40. Any opinions on this set up. Durable?

Shame no split two piece handlebar mounts are made and one needs to remove all the levers and grips.
Never Give Up!!!
Alivio is lower end of the product line, so I don't know how durable those are. The 200GS were built like a tank, weren't they? Had them on my trekking bike (replaced them with used Deore last year). Concerning the gear indicators: it is not a bad idea on bikes with three chain rings in order to avoid extreme gear combinations and the resulting chainline.
Thanks for the reply. Ye the 200GS which was the lower end in early 90's lasted a long time. I got a set of Alivo STX SL MC40. I checked them out and they look well made. Its also an older set up so it should be better made than current stuff. The bike shop gave me a great installation price so I bought from them rather than online and am having them do it. So for $60 I will have new shifters. Not bad after 18 years. I always try to buy locally first.

According to Sheldons Brown Shimano page the Alivo is equal to the 400 series so its supposed to be above the 200. ( 200GS=Altus, 400GS= Alivo, 500gs=STX). Every mechanic that looks at my bike says they do not make them like they used to. Very solid Schwinn High Sierra, Durable Aluminum frame Paramount design. Made in USA!
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...