Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

1992 Specialized Hardrock Build
My lovely Daughter in Texas picked up this $40 rock for me earlier this year, an 18 speed Hardrock. She has been getting better about what to look for though not her best find for me I think I can it work. First thing is to douch the 18 speed and convert to 21speed, dump the Altus components and upgrade a few levels here and there. It has its share of marks but not to bad. It will make a good re purposed commuter. Nothing some spit shine, elbow grease, and some new pads, cables and housing cannot make better! Steel is real even if it is basic Cromo. I dumped the steel riser bars and stem to swap with a nice Cromo stem and Orbea alloy bars. Dug through the old stock and will be mating up some DeoreLX stuff from my old 93' Rockhopper Comp. $for$ when done should make a Surly blush! ha. Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Nice Smile and my size too.
Nigel
(12-09-2014, 12:54 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Nice Smile and my size too.

I figured you for more a 20in frame over a 22in. It does have 2mm spokes so that would be somewhat a plus I guess. I wished you did live closer and I would just give it to ya so I could move on to the next ones.... ! Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I have too many to. Last two acquisitions are Treks: a 750 lugged double butted Cr-Mo that is going get built as a drop bar touring/commuter for a friend to ride when he comes to town (he lent me a bike when I was in MA for 3 weeks in Sept); the other is an early Taiwan 850 with tig welded double butted Tange MTB Cr-Mo frame. Not sure what the 850 is going to end up as. Both are too small for me.

This coming weekend is tuning the rear shifter on the SR for the new rear wheel and 8 speed cassette (was 7 speed freewheel).
Nigel
yep, I know what you mean Nigel. It is nice to have a few different sizes lying around. When I can i like to at least offer a loaner bike to people that really depend on them rather than cars. I want to make the Hardrock a great user but do not want to have a ton in it either. I am sure it will tip the $200 in any event but all will be fresh and rolling out nicely.
Lovely bike! My dad has an old specialized hardrock which is unfortunately isnt anywhere near this condition after being sitting for years. Would be amazing to see it to a standard anywhere near this and get him out cycling it again.
(12-14-2014, 05:25 PM)darreng Wrote:  Lovely bike! My dad has an old specialized hardrock which is unfortunately isnt anywhere near this condition after being sitting for years. Would be amazing to see it to a standard anywhere near this and get him out cycling it again.
Thank you, but it was a junk bucket when I got it, lots of parts swapping and upgrading. I say get your Dads and practice on his first, then hop on that Trek !
[/quote]
Thank you, but it was a junk bucket when I got it, lots of parts swapping and upgrading. I say get your Dads and practice on his first, then hop on that Trek !
[/quote]

Yeah I think that might be the best idea to gain some experience and time to build up the tools before tackling the trek! Im off work today so will have better pictures up either today or tommorow of both bikes
Looking forward to the pics. I will be posting some progress pics of the Hardrock soon too. Trying to keep the cost down to a minimum and using mostly parts bin stuff,(30yrs hoarding). I have decided to create some of my own finishes, rolling with the silver lustre on the frame pump and brake levers. I will incorporate the use of a Pangborn Media blaster on the crankarms, bottle cage, barends, and cnc lock-on grip locks to bring it all together nicely. Similar to sandblasting but more overall even toning of the substrate to give me a silver satin glow to the alloy to compliment the overall finished look. The media I will be using will be a micro grain steel shot, not sand or silica. The concept is to create a durable workhorse but retain the sleekness of the retro smaller diameter tubed double triangle frames with a touch of "Brawn". I think the touch of Silver Satin is just the cup of tea !
Where is best to post the pictures of the specialized ? Not had chance to do a full surf of the forum yet.
Sounds great mate, cant wait to see it finished! Also a durable workhorse is the finish il need to give to my bikes also as living here in the scotland we dont get the best weather!
"Where is best to post the pictures of the specialized ? Not had chance to do a full surf of the forum yet?"
I use the "Show off your bike" thread to show bikes and builds. Try that once you get going.
I pretty much have my game plan down for this build. Still have to prep the bottle cage and crank arms for blasting, decide on and order tires/tubes. Then get it back together and ready for sale. The pangborn blasted parts in the pics are the screw heads for the rack mount, collars for the grips, and the Specialized barends. Giving them all the same finish/texture. Blending nicely with the frame pump and brake levers.
Il get the specialized up on the 'show off your bike' section then thanks. Yeah that is a nice finish too it, did you blast the brake levers and seat post also ?
(12-27-2014, 03:33 PM)darreng Wrote:  Il get the specialized up on the 'show off your bike' section then thanks. Yeah that is a nice finish too it, did you blast the brake levers and seat post also ?

No the levers are not, but are part of the reason I decided to go with this finish. I will be doing the crank arms, water cage and possibly the post. I should be able to post an update in around a week or so. Looking forward to seeing your dads bike soon.
Just a quick update. I figure I will media blast the seat post along with the cage and crank arms. Still waiting on a couple parts I did not have in stock, I needed an extra long brake link to clear the rack mount without making a roller coaster out of the brace. Did get some tires in to try out. Geax Evolution 1.9. these are Vittoria Mtb brand. Should be smooth rolling, good for multi-terrain. Not to mention only $16 a pop.Hopefully the next update she will be finished!
(12-29-2014, 11:31 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Just a quick update. I figure I will media blast the seat post along with the cage and crank arms. Still waiting on a couple parts I did not have in stock, I needed an extra long brake link to clear the rack mount without making a roller coaster out of the brace. Did get some tires in to try out. Geax Evolution 1.9. these are Vittoria Mtb brand. Should be smooth rolling, good for multi-terrain. Not to mention only $16 a pop.Hopefully the next update she will be finished!

Looking nice as usual! You do it right!
Nobody ever said "I wish I would have gotten less of a bike!"

Cervelo S5
Cannondale F29 1 alloy Lefty
Trek X-01 Crossbike
2017 Trek Farley 7
71 Ral Professional
72 Ral International
73 Ral Grand Sports
73 Ral Competition
74 Ral Super course
74 Ral Granprix
74 Paramount
2017 Trek Domane SLR 6

Thanks again Bill, can't wait to try it out. It is built similar to my Univega. That bike will be hard to beat as my day trekker. I will find out how the hardrock stacks up as far as ride quality and such.
The Tally is in, Pretty much finished up and was able to give it a test ride. Very nice indeed, worth the effort to upgrade, The tires roll good and smooth the ride, the Sella Royal Yak saddle proved to be comfy and a great deal @ $15 slashed from list. Ready for a day trekker or anything you want.
Very nice PK. You put a lot of work into recycling that. I have never seen a carrier on the front. Is that a mod or off the shelf rack?
BTW, Do people like those handle bars where you live? I have had a hard time selling a bike I have, in very nice condition, with that handle bar style set up and was going to change the bars.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Thank you much Elmore. The bars were steel swapped for Alloy, The Bar ends are Specialized brand and of era period correct. Great for when you have to flip the bike for tire repair, or for brush guards for the hands knocking saplings and vines out of the way in the woods, and of course mixing the hand position for long treks or climbing. They are a personal choice for people, some do some do not. hard to say if it would make or break a sale or not. The front rack is an available product, Started using them myself after Nigel re-assured me that used properly and not over loaded the bosses can handle the force. What is not so available is a trunk pack to fit the smaller rack. I make my own That is a perfect fit for the rack with mini side pannier's made from handle bar bags. the main trunk is made from a type of DvD case holder and then stitch them together. I will have to post pics sometime of the setup. Perfect for the front rack and looks good too. the ones I have made have cost less than $30 to make. I have not ruled out offering them as a Product for sale in the near future.
(01-23-2015, 07:35 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Thank you much Elmore. The bars were steel swapped for Alloy, The Bar ends are Specialized brand and of era period correct. Great for when you have to flip the bike for tire repair, or for brush guards for the hands knocking saplings and vines out of the way in the woods, and of course mixing the hand position for long treks or climbing. They are a personal choice for people, some do some do not. hard to say if it would make or break a sale or not. The front rack is an available product, Started using them myself after Nigel re-assured me that used properly and not over loaded the bosses can handle the force. What is not so available is a trunk pack to fit the smaller rack. I make my own That is a perfect fit for the rack with mini side pannier's made from handle bar bags. the main trunk is made from a type of DvD case holder and then stitch them together. I will have to post pics sometime of the setup. Perfect for the front rack and looks good too. the ones I have made have cost less than $30 to make. I have not ruled out offering them as a Product for sale in the near future.
Cool bike. What is the make/ model and all of its specs?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Rob55

03-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Bill