Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Headset parts order
Hello

first post, but I have found a lot of good info on this site.

I have an old garry fisher Hoo Koo E Koo 1997/1998. The headset was missing the top seal part and I couldnt find a good replacement part. I found a cheap techno glide j-27 to replace the whole thing.
http://www.tangeseiki.com/tangeseiki_news/Glide-1-1a-200902050641394.png.html

Now I have 2 problems.

1. I need a new crown race as the new headset uses sealed catridges with a different profile to the old one. How to I figure out what kind I need?

2. the headset came sepearated and I am a little confused with the bottom half. What order do the parts go? espicially the rubber seal and the other metal part?

[attachment=5465]
[attachment=5466]

Thanks for any help!
Ok, I just realised that the "metal Piece" in the lower section is the new crow race!
your top assembly left to right is correct, the split ring slides on the fork tube after bearing is placed in, then the cap ring.
your lower one same thing except the skinny ring goe on your fork, the seal goes on that, put bearing and cup in lower head tube.
now your stack height may be different now so you will have to make up for this with spacers, as you snug your top cap by hand it will all pinch and seat
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thaks for the reply!

The part in the bottom assembly you have labled as 2 is the crown race right?

I am confused about what you call the skinny ring and the seal?

I installed crown race (part 2) onto the fork.
I put the rubber ring (part3) on top of that.

It all seems to work. Did I put the rubber ring in the wrong place?

(11-09-2014, 11:22 PM)painkiller Wrote:  your top assembly left to right is correct, the split ring slides on the fork tube after bearing is placed in, then the cap ring.
your lower one same thing except the skinny ring goe on your fork, the seal goes on that, put bearing and cup in lower head tube.
now your stack height may be different now so you will have to make up for this with spacers, as you snug your top cap by hand it will all pinch and seat
sorry, two goes on fork in position shown, 3 (dust ring) goes on the little ridge on two. Lube all metal to parts before assembly. This keep any creaking sounds from occurring. There should be about 1/8 in. space from top of stem to top of fork tube so the stem cap does not bottom out before pre setting the headset. This is where you may need spacers under your stem for. Make sure your cups are pressed in and seated square.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks. I managed to do it all with a rubber mallet and a worn out screw driver for the crown race.

It all seems to be running smoothly.

(11-11-2014, 02:20 PM)painkiller Wrote:  sorry, two goes on fork in position shown, 3 (dust ring) goes on the little ridge on two. Lube all metal to parts before assembly. This keep any creaking sounds from occurring. There should be about 1/8 in. space from top of stem to top of fork tube so the stem cap does not bottom out before pre setting the headset. This is where you may need spacers under your stem for. Make sure your cups are pressed in and seated square.
(11-11-2014, 02:37 PM)bezoomny Wrote:  Thanks. I managed to do it all with a rubber mallet and a worn out screw driver for the crown race.

It all seems to be running smoothly.

(11-11-2014, 02:20 PM)painkiller Wrote:  sorry, two goes on fork in position shown, 3 (dust ring) goes on the little ridge on two. Lube all metal to parts before assembly. This keep any creaking sounds from occurring. There should be about 1/8 in. space from top of stem to top of fork tube so the stem cap does not bottom out before pre setting the headset. This is where you may need spacers under your stem for. Make sure your cups are pressed in and seated square.
glad you got it up and going. next time make one of these and your life will be much better!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

05-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Bill

10-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Painkiller