Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Stripped & stuck nondrive crank bolt
Hi,

I have an ~12 year old Giant OCR1 with a 3 x 9 truvativ elite drivetrain that I picked up from craigslist. Recently, the bottom bracket started to creak, and when I went to investigate the situation, I found that the left (nondrive) side crank bolt was stripped. When I took it to the LBS, they gave it a shot, and then phoned me to pick it up: they couldn't get it unstuck and didn't have a solution for me.

The next best approach I could find online was to JB-weld an 8 mm allen to the bolt, and then use a breaker to remove it. Unfortunately, the JB weld did not hold under force.

Today, I bought a set of bolt extractors, and proceeded to attempt to conquer the problem with a more destructive approach. To make a long story short, I now have a set of trashed bolt extractors and a bike that still has a crankset stuck on it, except now there is an 8 mm whole drilled into the crank bolt (used to set a #5 bolt extractor unsuccessfully), so you can see straight through to the other side when the drive-side crank bolt is removed.

I'm not sure how to proceed next? does anyone have an idea? From some extensive searching, it appears possible that the person who assembled the bike could have used red loctite on this bolt since they have a slight tendency to back out with use?

I have resolved to purchasing a replacement crankset, but don't know enough about how these items come apart... can I take the drive crank arm off and then fish the stuck crank + spindle out the other side? or are the parts tapered such that they can only be removed from one side (e.g. spindle from the crank side)? Will I have to remove the bottom bracket on the drive side?

Thanks in advance!

Tim
Tim;

we need pictures.

If you are going to replace the crankset and bottom bracket for sure; I would take an angle grinder and cut the axle off just inside the crank arm on the side that you can't remove the crank arm. Take the pedals off first if you want to salvage them. Once the crank arm is gone, it is easy to take apart the BB.
Nigel
Hi Nigel,

I'll take some photos when I get home tonight. Some research identified the bicycle as a 2005 model. I can confirm that it has a TruVativ GIGA pipe SL bottom bracket, (tentatively w/ 118mm spindle from the description above)....

This is apparently out-of-date technology? I'd prefer to keep a triple crankset on it, and found an updated edition of the same Truvativ Elita model, but it uses a GxP bottom bracket. Since I'm trashing this one (cutting the spindle), can I swap over to the GxP BB on this bike so I can use the newer crankset?

All of the details of these parts has my head spinning.

Thanks!

Tim
(05-29-2013, 11:45 AM)Timfoley Wrote:  Hi Nigel,

I'll take some photos when I get home tonight. Some research identified the bicycle as a 2005 model. I can confirm that it has a TruVativ GIGA pipe SL bottom bracket, (tentatively w/ 118mm spindle from the description above)....

This is apparently out-of-date technology? I'd prefer to keep a triple crankset on it, and found an updated edition of the same Truvativ Elita model, but it uses a GxP bottom bracket. Since I'm trashing this one (cutting the spindle), can I swap over to the GxP BB on this bike so I can use the newer crankset?

All of the details of these parts has my head spinning.

Thanks!

Tim
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
if that is the case it is a hollow splined ISIS bottom bracket correct?. If so STOP! STEP back for a moment. Then it would not be external bearing.Which means yes you may be able to use a spanner or tap a screw driver on the BB and cup to slip out the old and replace the new crank with new bb. you need the truativ bb removal tool. looks like the Park BBT-7 but a couple more notches or in socket form, so remove the free side and spanner wrench or flat blade screwdriver tap out the other side and should fall out. or lock the spindle from spinning and bore out the stripped bolt and will fall out once the cups are loosened. to reassemble you still need the truvativ BB tool so buy it before proceeding. you will need new crankset and new Bottom bracket
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-19-2021, 12:00 AM
Last Post: rbx

02-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Lighttower

06-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Last Post: garrett01