Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

In need of brake system
So I got a new work order to repair a child's BMX styled bicycle. I need to put on a rear brake system. It looks like it had a "shorty-type" rim brake system on it before. I need suggestions on what to so as I don't have a lot of experience with these types of smaller bikes. I think the customer found it at a yard sale or something because its really old and really bare.

Tires are 20x2.35

Bike is a Redline

Any ideas?
2012 Trek 1.1 Road Bike
2011 Trek Marlin 29er Mountain Bike
2012 Gravity BaseCamp 2.0 Mountain Bike
Ok pictures would help id , but if you cant here is a link that might assist you...
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/redline/ .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Shawn; U-brakes are common on BMX bikes, and are long reach calipers. U-brakes mount on studs like V-brakes and cantilevers; but the studs are in a different position relative to the rim. U-brakes are listed on Amazon.
Nigel
Okay I went to LBS and picked up a brake system. I have put it on how it appears it should have been put on. However, my issue is I can't figure out how to make the brake level (on the handbars) tight!? I have attached some photos of the brake system I put on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
2012 Trek 1.1 Road Bike
2011 Trek Marlin 29er Mountain Bike
2012 Gravity BaseCamp 2.0 Mountain Bike
Do you know about adjusting the springs using a spanner and allen key? As for making brake tighter on the lever use 2 1omm spanners on the bridge nut and pull more cable through and tighten back up again
hi Shawn; in the last picture above, it is not clear if there is a cable housing stop or not. If there is no stop, there is nothing for the system to push against.

Bill is an expert on U-brakes.
Nigel