Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Dented frame...hack option...Advice needed
Okay so I have a 2013 Trek Domane 2.0 Aluminum Frame, which I obviously do not want to drop more money into for a whole new frame. The dent is in the top bar, roughly 1/8 of an inch deep. There is no other damage to the bike, as I did not fall, my crotch collided with it while frantically stopping for a fairly cute girl, who thought on left meant move to the left.

See link for photo.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c67.0.403.403/p403x403/15240_300066680124616_1617495447_n.jpg

I haven't received word from Trek on their diagnosis, and I believe they will more than likely tell me it is unrideable due to the paint micro cracks...

My thought is sanding down the area and leaving it as is, but adding a carbon fiber sleeve for added support to make it safe, or safer to ride...or is that just useless? Please do not respond with a guess..only knowledgeable posts, as if this does fail I could be impaled and die or get seriously injured...

Thank you all.
I would leave it alone and ride it, if you cannot get out of the back of your head that you will be impailed then find a suitable replacement frame,
you just added another curve to the top tube thats all. you may even check with someone who does paintless dent repair, they may be able to pop it back like a hail dent. they sell kits you could try yourself.
you did not stress the tube anymore than the hydra-forming process did.
ride it and keep an eye on it to make sure the tube its self did not crack.
Mostly you just made its resale value diminish some. If it were mine I would ride it til I found a good deal on another frame and move on
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Personally I would ride it as it is and just keep an eye on it, I had a Scott Scale alloy frame with a dented top tube. 2 years cross country use and no problems.
@Painkiller & @torquecyclerepairs You two make me smile...now hopefully my Dr. gives me good news about my fertility. lmao if you only knew how bad this hurt. Just curiosity at this point, would the idea for a vacuum infused carbon sleeve add to the structural integrity or just cover up the dent?
Oh man of steel balls, just ride it ! it will be fine. you cannot put a price on that kind of sentimental value that bike has now accrued . Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(04-14-2013, 11:04 AM)Chris.S Wrote:  @Painkiller & @torquecyclerepairs You two make me smile...now hopefully my Dr. gives me good news about my fertility. lmao if you only knew how bad this hurt. Just curiosity at this point, would the idea for a vacuum infused carbon sleeve add to the structural integrity or just cover up the dent?

1st - where is the picture of the attractive girl? I looked at the link expecting her - not a dented frame Smile Smile

Carbon tube - you'd have to wrap it around the frame, then bag and cook - all the paint would be gone after that process. Any form of split carbon sleeve would just cover it up - use soft foam like used to insulate pipes instead so that when you land there again, there will be some cushion.

Dent repair does NOT work on aluminum; only on steel; and I would not do it to a bicycle. The dent repair is for non-structural (ie car body), not structural frames (bikes).

Just ride it.

Trek may come through; if not Nashbar has some great options for very low prices to swap all your components to.
Nigel
(04-14-2013, 12:12 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(04-14-2013, 11:04 AM)Chris.S Wrote:  @Painkiller & @torquecyclerepairs You two make me smile...now hopefully my Dr. gives me good news about my fertility. lmao if you only knew how bad this hurt. Just curiosity at this point, would the idea for a vacuum infused carbon sleeve add to the structural integrity or just cover up the dent?

1st - where is the picture of the attractive girl? I looked at the link expecting her - not a dented frame Smile Smile

Carbon tube - you'd have to wrap it around the frame, then bag and cook - all the paint would be gone after that process. Any form of split carbon sleeve would just cover it up - use soft foam like used to insulate pipes instead so that when you land there again, there will be some cushion.

Dent repair does NOT work on aluminum; only on steel; and I would not do it to a bicycle. The dent repair is for non-structural (ie car body), not structural frames (bikes).

Just ride it.

Trek may come through; if not Nashbar has some great options for very low prices to swap all your components to.

I think my painful crying and gasping for air ruined my chances with her lol

Just for further clarification on the carbon wrap, are you saying the entire frame? I was thinking 8 inches of overlap(10 inches total), 4 inches on both sides of the dent. 3 layers 1st and 3rd being carbon fiber with their overlap being closed on the bottom of the frame and the middle layer a thicker Kevlar weave with the overlap being located on the top of the frame. would this increase the structures integrity or just cover it up in your opinion? Thanks for the response.

I'll try to find another pretty girl here in Florida to appease your appetite for women. lol
The only reason I'm still asking about this Is because I feel it may be a valid way to repair an aluminum frame and from what I know of there is no valid way to fix aluminum frames...until possibly now...Unless there are any objections/more insight to it...?
(04-14-2013, 11:17 AM)painkiller Wrote:  Oh man of steel balls, just ride it ! it will be fine. you cannot put a price on that kind of sentimental value that bike has now accrued . Smile

Lol, I'm expecting it'll drive the ladies crazy..going to be my pick up line/story, even better then Joey's "How you doin'?"
Find a local welder. Look for one that says he can weld any material possible. We have them here in central CA so you've got to have them there. He should be able to cut some tubing & weld it over the spot, like a patch, if it shouldn't be done, he would know. I've seen a Specialized Hardrock MTB repaired this way.

There used to be a custom ultralight wheelchair maker here, he could have told you.

Look up custom bike frame builders & call & ask one.
Probably less expensive than repairing:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_511694_-1___202337
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_511702_-1___202337
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_10053_10052_511239_-1
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_10053_10052_173397_-1
Nigel
Thank you nfmisso. Though those are nice replacement frames, the only reason I actually bought the new Domane is for the ISO speed frame, which is wonderful, I love it and will likely never go back to a non iso speed frame, or carbon frame for that matter. Some would consider the Domane a downgrade from my old bike, a 2008 Specialized Roubaix Comp, but after 3 months on the Domane I disagree. Unfortunately the Roubaix is in the hands of her new owner Sad...I Could have used her in this time of need.

1FJEF, I'll admit that a welder is the kind of craftsman I should be asking. But in regards to repair I am personally very against repairs to any aluminum cycle frames with a weld job, which is what drove me to come up with the alternative sleeve idea. *Incase this came off wrong know that I sincerely do appreciate your input.

At this point, this thread is not about my bike but about the idea of adding a carbon fiber/Kevlar sleeve to a dented/cracked or otherwise damaged aluminum frame.
I'm no engineer (and there are a few who frequent this list.) But I suspect a reinforcing sleeve would do little to actually make the area stronger but would be very effective at making it so you couldn't see cracks developing or the dent changing in some way.
I'd ride it as is and keep an eye on it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Last Post: X-RAY

11-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Last Post: X-RAY

10-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Last Post: sportsupdate